Randy Tyree says he plans to file a formal complaint with the Merit System Council regarding the "use of uniformed and classified employees on the campaign website of his opponent, J.J. Jones, the interim sheriff."
According to a press release, Tyree alleges that:
Jones has violated Knox County Ordinance No. O-90-9-111, as amended, which created and established a merit system for employees of the Knox County Sheriff’s Department and the Policies and Procedures of the Knox County Sheriff’s Merit System Council and has violated, caused to be violated or permitted the violation of Section 42-64 of the Knox County Code, as well as the Policies and Procedures of the Knox County Sheriff’s Office Merit System Council.
The website contains the images of some 14 employees who are protected under the Merit System and are not to appear on behalf of a political candidate while in uniform and/or on duty.
Jones’ campaign website also features the use of Knox County Sheriff’s Department patrol cars, aircraft (helicopter) badges, logos and police radios.
Tyree asked his opponent on July 16 to remove the images that were a violation of Merit Council’s policies, and Jones’ response was to avoid the question of whether or not the images were allowed. He directed Tyree to file a complaint.
"It is instructive that the interim sheriff won’t do the right thing and maintains his political position," Tyree said. "These are the same tactics employed by Tim Hutchison, the man most responsible for Jones being appointed to the office.
"The employees of the sheriff’s department are to be protected from politics on the part of the sitting sheriff. They are not to be used or their images misconstrued for political activities."
Tyree will hold a press conference on Thursday at 11 a.m. in front of the City County Building to discuss the matter.
Observation: Jones certainly has a slick website. That must have cost a bundle. Good thing he's raising so much money from the local GOP elite. It also has a whole page dedicated to attacks on Tyree, based mainly on stuff dragged up from 25 years ago. Sounds like Jones is worried.
- Arts without the NEA (1 reply)
- AP interview of Trump (4 replies)
- It's A Tax, Stupid (and on stupid too) (10 replies)
- Tonight: Tom Perez/Bernie Sanders - Louisville, KY (36 replies)
- Knoxville SOUP (1 reply)
- Self-driving trolley comes to Knoxville (1 reply)
- Samantha Bee ... (1 reply)
- Trump's Cabinet (115 replies)
- Forget Mar-a-Lago. This is how you roll... (3 replies)
- "Narrow miss" the new low bar for Democrats (5 replies)
- Opening lyrics (9 replies)
- How state policies affect the success or failure of Obamacare (1 reply)
- Apr 26 2017 - 12:00pm (1 day 1 hour from now)
- Apr 26 2017 - 6:30pm (1 day 8 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (2 days 7 hours from now)