SB1243 by Campfield revises the procedures for selling the state-owned property where the Lakeshore Mental Health Institute was operated prior to its closure.
The bill puts restrictions on the sale of the land (and any other land in the state previously used for mental health services) to local governments, including competitive bidding with private companies and a requirement for "highest and best use."
UPDATE: MAYOR ROGERO’S STATEMENT ON LAKESHORE PROPERTY PROPOSAL
The following is Mayor Madeline Rogero's statement on legislation proposed by State Sen. Stacey Campfield requiring the sale of state property at the former Lakeshore Mental Health Institute.
Mayor Rogero: "I strongly disagree with Senator Campfield's proposal to sell off state land at Lakeshore. The City of Knoxville has a longstanding agreement with the state about the transfer of Lakeshore to the City, which will protect the land as a public asset for generations to come. This transfer has been underway for a number of years and the city has already invested substantially in Lakeshore Park. Senator Campfield has had no conversations with the City administration about his proposal, and we strongly oppose it.
This proposed legislation would damage a highly-used and treasured City park, which is open for all Knoxvillians to enjoy. In addition, it would be bad policy to limit the state’s ability to choose the best manner by which to dispose of any of its surplus property."
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (12 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (7 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (196 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (5 hours 9 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (12 hours 39 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 12 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)