SB1243 by Campfield revises the procedures for selling the state-owned property where the Lakeshore Mental Health Institute was operated prior to its closure.
The bill puts restrictions on the sale of the land (and any other land in the state previously used for mental health services) to local governments, including competitive bidding with private companies and a requirement for "highest and best use."
UPDATE: MAYOR ROGERO’S STATEMENT ON LAKESHORE PROPERTY PROPOSAL
The following is Mayor Madeline Rogero's statement on legislation proposed by State Sen. Stacey Campfield requiring the sale of state property at the former Lakeshore Mental Health Institute.
Mayor Rogero: "I strongly disagree with Senator Campfield's proposal to sell off state land at Lakeshore. The City of Knoxville has a longstanding agreement with the state about the transfer of Lakeshore to the City, which will protect the land as a public asset for generations to come. This transfer has been underway for a number of years and the city has already invested substantially in Lakeshore Park. Senator Campfield has had no conversations with the City administration about his proposal, and we strongly oppose it.
This proposed legislation would damage a highly-used and treasured City park, which is open for all Knoxvillians to enjoy. In addition, it would be bad policy to limit the state’s ability to choose the best manner by which to dispose of any of its surplus property."
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (12 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (8 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (1 reply)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)