Some of the comments related to school rezoning are getting out of hand on this forum.
Before you place fingers to keyboard, you might want to make sure that what you write about someone else's neighborhood or school is not so broad and all-encompassing in its pain and distortion that you wouldn't want it said about your own neighborhood.
Have we forgotten what just happened to the Rutgers women's basketball team, or is it now ok, as one commenter did, to use third hand attribution to get away with tripe like describing Austin East as "a cesspool of young thugs, filled with gangs?"
Frankly, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. No, it's not the best school. But instead of sticking a fork in it, why don't you get off your butt and make it better? Why do gangs form, anyway? It has a lot to do with a community's lack of economic opportunity.
I mentored three young men in credit recovery at Austin East last year because it looked like they weren't going to graduate. Despite some tough personal circumstances, they made it in to the computer lab more often than not. Sometimes I had to go into the neighborhood and find them, give them a ride, but we both stuck with it and they graduated. Each one of them was a nice kid under varying degrees of outward "toughness." But we read Ray Bradbury, worked on Microsoft Excel, got stuck on Algebra problems together, but made it through.
One high school diploma doesn't save a young man or woman, but it is once less risk factor and one less frustrating GED for the same person at age 26.
Maybe the person assassinating the character of these kids needs to go volunteer with some of our less advantaged students. Spend some time lifting kids up instead of disparaging those with few opportunities and almost no role models.
Are you willing to be one? If called, will you serve?
- AP interview of Trump (2 replies)
- Tonight: Tom Perez/Bernie Sanders - Louisville, KY (34 replies)
- Knoxville SOUP (1 reply)
- Self-driving trolley comes to Knoxville (1 reply)
- Samantha Bee ... (1 reply)
- Trump's Cabinet (115 replies)
- Forget Mar-a-Lago. This is how you roll... (3 replies)
- "Narrow miss" the new low bar for Democrats (5 replies)
- Opening lyrics (9 replies)
- How state policies affect the success or failure of Obamacare (1 reply)
- It's A Tax, Stupid (and on stupid too) (8 replies)
- Great opening lyrics (167 replies)
- Apr 26 2017 - 12:00pm (1 day 17 hours from now)
- Apr 26 2017 - 6:30pm (1 day 23 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (2 days 23 hours from now)