I was looking at this Metro Pulse article about a house on Sevier Ave. that the City wants to take by eminent domain to build a roundabout for access to new condos on the river. I thought, that house looks familiar. Sure enough, it's the house I grew up in.
My parents bought it around 1956 when I was a little over one year old after renting for a while up the street on Sevier Ave. I think I remember them saying they paid about $5000 for it. It was the first house they ever owned. My Dad added on a space at the back where my Mom operated a neighborhood beauty shop for about 30 years before she retired. It was also convenient for my Dad, who worked at a downtown office which is no longer there of course.
I think the guy who owns it now is someone I knew from South High. He says the city is offering $96,000 and he thinks it's worth $180,000. I don't know about that, but all those houses along there have a lot of potential if the South Waterfront plan ever develops beyond the condos on the river.
It looks like the roundabout could be moved across the street to replace the screwed up intersection they built for the JWP project, or the next block over on Island Home and it would take some empty and/or less desirable properties. But those all happen to be owned by 531 Corp.
Anyway, this is very sad.
P.S. I remember specifically looking up this property on the maps and project diagrams presented at the public workshop wrapup presentation. The house was still there and I don't recall any roundabout.
UPDATE: The Mrs. and Rachel (in comments) both say I am mistaken about the roundabout. But the Mrs. notes that the property (lot 11) was still there as you can clearly see in this map:
- Obama wants community college to be free (67 replies)
- KNS Friday liberal column changeup (5 replies)
- Josh Flory leaving KNS (9 replies)
- Bonnaroo lineup announced (27 replies)
- Rape trial for former Vandy football players (20 replies)
- Build A Better Mousetrap (or just do the job better) (2 replies)
- Knoxville City Sign Ordinance (11 replies)
- Geek stuff: HTPC experiment (17 replies)
- It's getting close to tax time (4 replies)
- 2015 State of The Union Watch Party TONITE! (22 replies)
- Seattle has first LED lit baseball field (1 reply)
- Tennessee's wealthiest people (28 replies)
- Jan 27 2015 - 5:30pm (2 days 6 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:00pm (2 days 6 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:15pm (2 days 6 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 6 days from now)