I was looking at this Metro Pulse article about a house on Sevier Ave. that the City wants to take by eminent domain to build a roundabout for access to new condos on the river. I thought, that house looks familiar. Sure enough, it's the house I grew up in.
My parents bought it around 1956 when I was a little over one year old after renting for a while up the street on Sevier Ave. I think I remember them saying they paid about $5000 for it. It was the first house they ever owned. My Dad added on a space at the back where my Mom operated a neighborhood beauty shop for about 30 years before she retired. It was also convenient for my Dad, who worked at a downtown office which is no longer there of course.
I think the guy who owns it now is someone I knew from South High. He says the city is offering $96,000 and he thinks it's worth $180,000. I don't know about that, but all those houses along there have a lot of potential if the South Waterfront plan ever develops beyond the condos on the river.
It looks like the roundabout could be moved across the street to replace the screwed up intersection they built for the JWP project, or the next block over on Island Home and it would take some empty and/or less desirable properties. But those all happen to be owned by 531 Corp.
Anyway, this is very sad.
P.S. I remember specifically looking up this property on the maps and project diagrams presented at the public workshop wrapup presentation. The house was still there and I don't recall any roundabout.
UPDATE: The Mrs. and Rachel (in comments) both say I am mistaken about the roundabout. But the Mrs. notes that the property (lot 11) was still there as you can clearly see in this map:
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (12 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (8 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (1 reply)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)