Earlier, Commissioner Mark Harmon posted about the amendment to the Minvilla resolution which *might* have restricted add'l services within a 2 mile radius. Apparently, this was vetoed and will now be re-presented to County Commission without said amendment.
It is my hope that our city and county will reconsider this extraordinarily expensive project as it is now at the very upper end of Knoxville's luxury housing market. Other alternatives are more readily available which are much less expensive and ready to occupy. Why are we choosing to help fewer people and delay said help with this Minvilla project? Seemingly, the answer is to save the Minvilla building which has further deteriorated under VMC's watch; however, if the 10 Year Plan is successful in improving the Broadway/Fifth area and "Downtown North" continues its revitalization, maybe the private development could occur in just a few years.
In the meantime, VMC could stabilize and secure the structure or if they choose not to do so, Knoxville could enact its "demolition by neglect" ordinance to do the same.
I am asking our commissioners to do the right thing...for our City, for the immediate area and for those in need.
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (5 replies)
- Kroger Seasoning Recall includes Knoxville Area (2 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (9 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (37 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (94 replies)
- Proposed ozone rules grab East Tennessee mayors' attention (5 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (45 replies)
- Blue Hair for Bernie - Canceled (1 reply)
- Marines to volunteer armed guards: Thanks but no thanks (6 replies)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (8 replies)
- Trump: John McCain is no war hero, plus he's a loser (20 replies)
- Eastbound Cumberland Ave. to close for six weeks (1 reply)
- Jul 29 2015 - 12:00pm (2 hours 27 min from now)
- Jul 29 2015 - 6:00pm (8 hours 27 min from now)
- Aug 7 2015 - 7:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 weeks 2 days from now)