Phil Bredesen just said on politico.com/arena:
For me, Barack Obama’s historic win passes one of the best gut checks of all; I felt great about it last night, and I feel even better the morning after. It is the right thing for America on many levels.
As for its meaning, I do have a respectful request for the president-elect this morning. The strategy that produced our national win came at a real cost to Democrats here in Tennessee. We lost seats in the Senate, and this morning we have the first Republican House since the civil-war era. With the red landslide here in Tennessee, and with many counties with Democratic officeholders voting in the high 60s and even 70s for McCain, it’s very hard to swim against that current.
The center has shifted in this election, but America still has cultural divides we need to bridge.
My respectful request is this: I ask you to now reach out to all those people in my state—and across America— who attend small-town churches, who shop at WalMart, but who weren’t quite there for you yesterday; make them too a part of your vision for America. They will increase your understanding of our wonderful country, they will strengthen your ability to govern, and they need you.
- Tennessee Dem losses are Obama's fault, not mine
- Obama's a snob who doesn't like small town voters who shop at Walmart. Obama has been reaching out to voters like this for 20 months.
Respectfully request, huh? I respectfully request that the State Democratic Party censure Bredesen.
They should. Backstabber. No, Tennessee was never in play nationally. But isn't it partially the responsibility of a Democratic Governor? Think how often you've heard of Ed Rendell's hard work to keep the state of PA blue, for comparison to Bredesen's lackluster performance. Working hard for the national ticket has a direct impact on down-ticket races, Mr. Bredesen. Seems like you've been slacking pretty badly, sir.
- Let's get ready to rumble! (11 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- The millennial vote? (8 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (7 replies)
- Butt probe (4 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (28 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (62 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (5 replies)
- Clinton, Trump 2016 Presidential Debate - 9/26/2016, 9 PM (8 replies)
- Clinton supporter fear? (16 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (1 day 10 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (2 days 15 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (2 days 16 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (2 weeks 8 hours from now)