Phil Bredesen just said on politico.com/arena:
For me, Barack Obama’s historic win passes one of the best gut checks of all; I felt great about it last night, and I feel even better the morning after. It is the right thing for America on many levels.
As for its meaning, I do have a respectful request for the president-elect this morning. The strategy that produced our national win came at a real cost to Democrats here in Tennessee. We lost seats in the Senate, and this morning we have the first Republican House since the civil-war era. With the red landslide here in Tennessee, and with many counties with Democratic officeholders voting in the high 60s and even 70s for McCain, it’s very hard to swim against that current.
The center has shifted in this election, but America still has cultural divides we need to bridge.
My respectful request is this: I ask you to now reach out to all those people in my state—and across America— who attend small-town churches, who shop at WalMart, but who weren’t quite there for you yesterday; make them too a part of your vision for America. They will increase your understanding of our wonderful country, they will strengthen your ability to govern, and they need you.
- Tennessee Dem losses are Obama's fault, not mine
- Obama's a snob who doesn't like small town voters who shop at Walmart. Obama has been reaching out to voters like this for 20 months.
Respectfully request, huh? I respectfully request that the State Democratic Party censure Bredesen.
They should. Backstabber. No, Tennessee was never in play nationally. But isn't it partially the responsibility of a Democratic Governor? Think how often you've heard of Ed Rendell's hard work to keep the state of PA blue, for comparison to Bredesen's lackluster performance. Working hard for the national ticket has a direct impact on down-ticket races, Mr. Bredesen. Seems like you've been slacking pretty badly, sir.
- Mayor Burchett goes off on Gov. Haslam re. mental health treatment funding (16 replies)
- 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 today (2 replies)
- For You and Me (1 reply)
- Trump uniting the GOP? (8 replies)
- Help a deserving Fulton High student go to Australia (2 replies)
- Payday lenders racking up in Tennessee (3 replies)
- A Record for False Statements in KNS reply (3 replies)
- Air bag recall expanded to millions more cars (6 replies)
- Sanders wins Oregon, splits Kentucky with Clinton (3 replies)
- UAW endorses Hillary Clinton (1 reply)
- Switzerland's Gotthard Train Tunnel Will Be World's Longest, Deepest (4 replies)
- Vacation snapshots (4 replies)