What editorial devil possessed the KNS to publish the "Citizen's Voice" tripe by June B. Griffin in today's (Aug. 16) edition? Headlined "Sen. Jessee Helms was a true patriot," it could almost pass for clumsy satire. After canonizing her hero for his "patriotism" and his staunch stand against "foreignism," Griffin declares it a "shame and disgrace" that Helm's body "was not lying in state at the nation's capital."
The writer concludes this orgy of lunacy with what is surely one of the more unwittingly ironic statements ever to (dis)grace the editorial pages of the KNS: "I expect to greet him in the 'Pearly White City.'"
Pearly white, indeed.
Larry Van Guilder
Edit: I knew I had heard the writer's name somewhere before. A Google search turned up this: (link...)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (9 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (6 replies)
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (5 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (9 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (10 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Answers at Saturday's annual SPJ legislative session (8 replies)
- Mayor Rogero responds to News Sentinel allegation of sunshine violation (17 replies)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (1 reply)
- Iindependent Lens file: A Path Appears (2 replies)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (6 days 6 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (6 days 7 hours from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)