Following up on a question from a couple of days ago, Knox County Election Administrator Greg Mackay says that there is no notification on the ballot or at the polling places regarding the fact that there are twelve term-limited, ineligible candidates on the ballot for the May 2nd primaries.
Mr. Mackay said via e-mail, "Is it a fact? Brook Thompson says so. Judge Weaver points out that none of the twelve has been 'adjudicated'." In a follow-up e-mail, Mr. Mackay said that the only thing he knows for certain at this point is that there is an election May 2nd and there are seven early voting locations now open.
Regardless of how the situation got to this point, you have to feel for Greg Mackay. He has run a smooth operation at KCEC for a long time, and has always been forthright, proactive, and responsive. His world has been turned upside down, and it looks like it will be a while before it can be put right again. It appears they could use some better legal guidance, but I guess that will be a little more difficult since the Knox County Law Director has recused himself.
There is more discussion in the comments on this post (scroll down).
P.S. The "none of the twelve has been 'adjudicated'" statement by Knox County Chancellor John Weaver appears to be spreading. Are some candidates hanging their hat on the possibility that the fat lady hasn't yet sung? (Sorry about the mixed metaphors and cliches.) The Halls Shopper reports that Wanda Moody has reactivated her campaign (scroll down to "Gossip and Lies"), which she had previously suspended. Oh, while you're over there, check out Betty Bean's "signs" report.
- school board meeting underway (52 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (8 replies)
- Celebrating with a Strawberry Cobbler (1 reply)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (48 replies)
- Rail incident, evacuations ongoing in Blount Co. (13 replies)
- Haslam snubs Obama, again (11 replies)
- Blurring the Racial Lines (53 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (30 replies)
- New revelations in deadly school bus crash (96 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (4 replies)
- TNGOP wants a special session on the gay crisis (3 replies)
- Couldn't happen to a nicer guy (2 replies)