Just heard a U.S. commander being interviewed by Wolf Blitzer about a disturbing report from Iraq that suicide car bombers are using children as cover to get through checkpoints and then blowing up the cars with the children inside.
Apparently this is good news. Rear Adm. Mark Fox says this is proof that the surge is working, because the stepped up security at checkpoints in Baghdad is causing the insurgents to change their tactics.
Dear God, please help us all.
UPDATE: From the transcript:
BLITZER: What we've heard is that a couple of kids are in the back seat, the suicide bombers, they pull up. They then escape themselves, pull some trigger, some remote device, blow up the car, killing the kids. And from their perspective, killing other people nearby.
Is that what they are trying to do?
FOX: Well, it seems to me that what happened was, it was at a checkpoint -- you know, the effectiveness of the new checkpoints that the Iraqi security forces are using, I think this is evidence of that kind of working. They are changing the profile.
Typically you would expect a single person, a single male to be in a car that's going to -- you know, a car bomb. And so to put children in there is going to change their kind of profile.
But -- so it's a change in tactics.
- Gunman attacks Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic (14 replies)
- Republican State Rep: new traffic law needed to help him get home (9 replies)
- U.N. Weather Agency: It's Record Hot Out There This Year (3 replies)
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (65 replies)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (12 replies)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (39 replies)
- We are TARGEEEEET!!! (1 reply)
- Right-wing contortions (3 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (343 replies)
- Happy Thanksgiving! (2 replies)
- KCSO Proposed Safety Center (4 replies)
- McIntyre's self-evaluation (13 replies)