One of the worst decisions by Mayor Haslam and his administration was the approval and installation of Redflex Red Light cameras. But much worse than that decision was the decision not to change the Yellow Light timing to ensure traffic safety.
Whether this was oversight, incompetence, or greed will be difficult to ascertain. The engineering department of the City of Knoxville has stated it is too expensive to change the Yellow Light timing. Some think it is about the money. The Redflex system has already earned over two million dollars with a portion of that money going to the City of Knoxville.
One man has decided to go over the head of the Haslam administration and take this to the Tennessee General Assembly. That man is Rep. Joe McCord, the Republican from Maryville. Rep. McCord has introduced a bill that will require Yellow Light durations to be set at 5 seconds at all intersections where cameras are set up to photograph motorists.
In a story in today’s News Sentinel McCord was reported as saying, “he has heard reports that the yellow lights on Knoxville's monitored intersections are set at 3 seconds to boost ticket revenue."
Thank you Joe McCord for standing up for the people that have to drive on Knoxville’s streets. The first goal should be safety not revenue.
Rep. McCord’s bill mandates, “that the yellow, or caution, light be set at 5 seconds at all intersections where cameras are set up to photograph motorists. Another portion of the bill would forbid local governments from contracting with private companies to operate red light camera systems.”
Effectively this would end the contract between Redflex and the City of Knoxville.
I wonder if the Yellow Light duration will be changed now? Well Mayor, what do you think?
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (33 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (35 replies)
- E.W. Scripps getting out of the newspaper business (39 replies)
- Sales tax holiday weekend starts today (2 replies)
- Huffman caves (4 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (11 replies)
- Ice-free Arctic may come as soon as 2054, study says (9 replies)
- First Friday Celebration with Knox Co Democratic Party (1 reply)
- Turnout predictions? (22 replies)
- NLRB rules on Browning-Ferris: MickyD's workers have the right to know for whom they work (4 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (33 replies)
- Women in Black vigils (2 replies)