One of the worst decisions by Mayor Haslam and his administration was the approval and installation of Redflex Red Light cameras. But much worse than that decision was the decision not to change the Yellow Light timing to ensure traffic safety.
Whether this was oversight, incompetence, or greed will be difficult to ascertain. The engineering department of the City of Knoxville has stated it is too expensive to change the Yellow Light timing. Some think it is about the money. The Redflex system has already earned over two million dollars with a portion of that money going to the City of Knoxville.
One man has decided to go over the head of the Haslam administration and take this to the Tennessee General Assembly. That man is Rep. Joe McCord, the Republican from Maryville. Rep. McCord has introduced a bill that will require Yellow Light durations to be set at 5 seconds at all intersections where cameras are set up to photograph motorists.
In a story in today’s News Sentinel McCord was reported as saying, “he has heard reports that the yellow lights on Knoxville's monitored intersections are set at 3 seconds to boost ticket revenue."
Thank you Joe McCord for standing up for the people that have to drive on Knoxville’s streets. The first goal should be safety not revenue.
Rep. McCord’s bill mandates, “that the yellow, or caution, light be set at 5 seconds at all intersections where cameras are set up to photograph motorists. Another portion of the bill would forbid local governments from contracting with private companies to operate red light camera systems.”
Effectively this would end the contract between Redflex and the City of Knoxville.
I wonder if the Yellow Light duration will be changed now? Well Mayor, what do you think?
- Bill Owen reception (1 reply)
- RIP John Seigenthaler (4 replies)
- Campaign finance sampling (15 replies)
- Climate Science, "kinky" jetstreams and such - why is it this cold anyway (1 reply)
- Lamar worried about Ball? (12 replies)
- Randy Tyree joins Knox Co. Sheriff's office (7 replies)
- Foothills Fall Festival will be the last (6 replies)
- VW/UAW's end run around Haslam, Corker (2 replies)
- McIntyre's mojo (4 replies)
- Astro Con (Hiatus Column #6) (1 reply)
- Term limits for school board members? (3 replies)
- Retro (2 replies)
- Jul 16 2014 - 12:00pm (4 days 5 hours from now)
- Jul 21 2014 - 6:30pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (2 weeks 2 hours from now)