From the sidebar (Memphis Suburb School Legislation Eyed), Tom Humphrey reports that Memphis suburbs are making a second attempt at crafting legislation to allow them to avoid participating in a pending merger of Memphis City and Shelby County schools.
You may recall that the suburbs had previously secured legislation they believed would allow them to circumvent the city-county merger, namely by creating independent school districts throughout the Memphis suburbs, but that Shelby County officials persuaded a federal judge that the legislation violated the Tennessee Constitution because it applied to only one county. That earlier legislation was struck down in November.
However, in a meeting held yesterday in Nashville and closed to media, officials from Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland and Millington met with state lawmakers to craft a second bill for the same purpose.
Bartlett's mayor said the suburbs' options included loosening charter school restrictions, but per Humphrey...
State Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said after the meeting that new legislation could include altering the measure that was ruled unconstitutional by opening the door to creation of new municipal districts across Tennessee.
...in which case charter schools would not be needed to segregate any city's urban students from its suburban ones.
Who, oh who, will launch ouster proceedings against Todd?
(Previously: Rep. Curry "Guns in Bars" Todd now ripe for ouster?)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- LWV local news media forum (4 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- NYT: The 'Caddyshack' President (6 replies)
- Trump's NatSec advisor Michael Flynn resigns (20 replies)
- NYT - Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence (7 replies)
- No ACA exchange options in Knox area after this year? (9 replies)
- Like A Ghoul Pool For A Nation (13 replies)
- Trump Takes Aim At Dodd-Frank, Investor Protections Rule In Executive Action (1 reply)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (3 days 4 hours from now)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (4 days 10 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)