From the sidebar (Memphis Suburb School Legislation Eyed), Tom Humphrey reports that Memphis suburbs are making a second attempt at crafting legislation to allow them to avoid participating in a pending merger of Memphis City and Shelby County schools.
You may recall that the suburbs had previously secured legislation they believed would allow them to circumvent the city-county merger, namely by creating independent school districts throughout the Memphis suburbs, but that Shelby County officials persuaded a federal judge that the legislation violated the Tennessee Constitution because it applied to only one county. That earlier legislation was struck down in November.
However, in a meeting held yesterday in Nashville and closed to media, officials from Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland and Millington met with state lawmakers to craft a second bill for the same purpose.
Bartlett's mayor said the suburbs' options included loosening charter school restrictions, but per Humphrey...
State Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said after the meeting that new legislation could include altering the measure that was ruled unconstitutional by opening the door to creation of new municipal districts across Tennessee.
...in which case charter schools would not be needed to segregate any city's urban students from its suburban ones.
Who, oh who, will launch ouster proceedings against Todd?
(Previously: Rep. Curry "Guns in Bars" Todd now ripe for ouster?)
- Other reasons KNS might be losing subscribers (20 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds: Libertarian Fascist? (50 replies)
- Here we go again (19 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (2 replies)
- Frank Cagle nails the Voucher Issue (15 replies)
- Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline bill (11 replies)
- NAAWP? Seriously? (8 replies)
- Tennessee considers for-profit public benefit corporate entities (50 replies)
- Tennessee Republican offers bill to nullify Farragut's town charter (10 replies)
- Check on your family and friends (2 replies)
- Clueless quote of the day (5 replies)
- The deaths not counted in this winter storm reporting,,,, (3 replies)