From the sidebar (Memphis Suburb School Legislation Eyed), Tom Humphrey reports that Memphis suburbs are making a second attempt at crafting legislation to allow them to avoid participating in a pending merger of Memphis City and Shelby County schools.
You may recall that the suburbs had previously secured legislation they believed would allow them to circumvent the city-county merger, namely by creating independent school districts throughout the Memphis suburbs, but that Shelby County officials persuaded a federal judge that the legislation violated the Tennessee Constitution because it applied to only one county. That earlier legislation was struck down in November.
However, in a meeting held yesterday in Nashville and closed to media, officials from Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland and Millington met with state lawmakers to craft a second bill for the same purpose.
Bartlett's mayor said the suburbs' options included loosening charter school restrictions, but per Humphrey...
State Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said after the meeting that new legislation could include altering the measure that was ruled unconstitutional by opening the door to creation of new municipal districts across Tennessee.
...in which case charter schools would not be needed to segregate any city's urban students from its suburban ones.
Who, oh who, will launch ouster proceedings against Todd?
(Previously: Rep. Curry "Guns in Bars" Todd now ripe for ouster?)
- Baptist Hospital demolition underway (7 replies)
- Too late to- Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (35 replies)
- Gordon Ball for U.S. Senate campaign kickoff (1 reply)
- Parthenon Group to propose KCS cuts tonight (89 replies)
- Via TREE - The Latest on Voucher Bill (8 replies)
- Volkswagon sides with UAW on appeal - Times Free Press (12 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (309 replies)
- Fresenius Medical Care Invests $140 Million To Locate Manufacturing Facility In Knoxville (1 reply)
- TEA sues Knox Co. Schools (3 replies)
- Merita bread to make a comeback? (14 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (17 replies)
- Lady Vols win SEC championship (2 replies)
- Mar 14 2014 - 4:30pm (2 days 4 hours from now)
- Mar 19 2014 - 12:00pm (6 days 23 hours from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Mar 25 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 6 days from now)