From the sidebar (Memphis Suburb School Legislation Eyed), Tom Humphrey reports that Memphis suburbs are making a second attempt at crafting legislation to allow them to avoid participating in a pending merger of Memphis City and Shelby County schools.
You may recall that the suburbs had previously secured legislation they believed would allow them to circumvent the city-county merger, namely by creating independent school districts throughout the Memphis suburbs, but that Shelby County officials persuaded a federal judge that the legislation violated the Tennessee Constitution because it applied to only one county. That earlier legislation was struck down in November.
However, in a meeting held yesterday in Nashville and closed to media, officials from Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland and Millington met with state lawmakers to craft a second bill for the same purpose.
Bartlett's mayor said the suburbs' options included loosening charter school restrictions, but per Humphrey...
State Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said after the meeting that new legislation could include altering the measure that was ruled unconstitutional by opening the door to creation of new municipal districts across Tennessee.
...in which case charter schools would not be needed to segregate any city's urban students from its suburban ones.
Who, oh who, will launch ouster proceedings against Todd?
(Previously: Rep. Curry "Guns in Bars" Todd now ripe for ouster?)
- Truthful comparison of Democratic contributions is not Negative (11 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (8 replies)
- Ball fails to file timely campaign finance disclosure (7 replies)
- ORNL was fixin' to learn y'all how to talk better (5 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (12 replies)
- Heartless Haslam's ridiculous letter to Obama embarrasses Tennessee (1 reply)
- Open letter to spammers (9 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (27 replies)
- Haslam kicks off campaign at Knoxville News Sentinel headquarters (5 replies)
- Auto parts manufacturer adding 1,000 jobs in Clinton (8 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (1 reply)
- Gloria Johnson hosting JOBS4TN HD13 Job Fair (1 reply)