By way of Post Politics, Nashville Public Radio reports that Rep. Jeremy Faison (R-Cosby), the House sponsor of Lt. Gov. Ramsey's "guns in trunks" bill, admits that he routinely has a gun in his car while at the state capitol. He also says he has never gotten around to sending in the paperwork for a carry permit and will "probably get in trouble" if he gets caught.
First of all, getting a handgun carry permit involves more than just "sending in the paperwork." Applicants must also complete a Dept. of Safety approved handgun safety course or provide proof of equivalent training.
As to whether Rep. Faison is breaking the law by routinely possessing a firearm in his vehicle without a permit, it depends. State law allows for transporting firearms as long as they are unloaded and the ammunition is stowed separately.
His cavalier attitude, though, and his admission that he could get in trouble if he gets caught suggest that he's breaking the law. Which is apparently OK if you are a Republican. Besides, I believe it's only a misdemeanor, so no big deal, right?
UPDATE: Rep. Faison issues clarification: Faison told The Associated Press on Monday that what he meant to say was that he transports a gun inside his car, which does not require a permit as long as ammunition is stored separately from the firearm.
- DTV Features Honor Air Knoxville and Eddie Mannis (1 reply)
- Haslam's legacy (18 replies)
- Boy Scout president calls for end to ban on gay leaders (2 replies)
- Haven't bragged about the SIL lately (3 replies)
- State and federal complaints filed against Knoxville charity (18 replies)
- Politically connected defendant will plead guilty to a lesser charge (9 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (38 replies)
- Takata Air Bag Recall grows (5 replies)
- TN senators question TVA on renewable energy (8 replies)
- James White Parkway (4 replies)
- America's fittest cities ... (2 replies)
- UT dropping "Lady" from "Lady Vols" (68 replies)
- May 22 2015 - 6:00pm (10 hours 21 min from now)
- May 22 2015 - 7:30pm (11 hours 51 min from now)
- May 26 2015 - 5:30pm (4 days 9 hours from now)
- May 27 2015 - 5:30pm (5 days 9 hours from now)