By way of Post Politics, Nashville Public Radio reports that Rep. Jeremy Faison (R-Cosby), the House sponsor of Lt. Gov. Ramsey's "guns in trunks" bill, admits that he routinely has a gun in his car while at the state capitol. He also says he has never gotten around to sending in the paperwork for a carry permit and will "probably get in trouble" if he gets caught.
First of all, getting a handgun carry permit involves more than just "sending in the paperwork." Applicants must also complete a Dept. of Safety approved handgun safety course or provide proof of equivalent training.
As to whether Rep. Faison is breaking the law by routinely possessing a firearm in his vehicle without a permit, it depends. State law allows for transporting firearms as long as they are unloaded and the ammunition is stowed separately.
His cavalier attitude, though, and his admission that he could get in trouble if he gets caught suggest that he's breaking the law. Which is apparently OK if you are a Republican. Besides, I believe it's only a misdemeanor, so no big deal, right?
UPDATE: Rep. Faison issues clarification: Faison told The Associated Press on Monday that what he meant to say was that he transports a gun inside his car, which does not require a permit as long as ammunition is stored separately from the firearm.
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (12 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (8 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (1 reply)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)