CNet has a look inside Domino's Super Bowl "war room," where "network operations, server administrators, network engineers, site reliability engineers, front-end developers, back-end developers, director of infrastructure, director of development, VP of global infrastructure, VP of online ordering development, VP of store operations, VP of POS development" plus the CIO, CFO and CEO monitor game day pizza delivery systems and operations.
According to a press release, Domino's anticipated delivering 11 million pizza slices and 2.5 million chicken wings nationwide on game day, and that delivery drivers would cover the equivalent of more than 300 round trips from San Francisco to Baltimore.
And judging from a quick google search, reporting on the technology behind delivering gobs of dough and fat is becoming an annual tradition.
In related news, Oreo set up their own "war room" to monitor social media trends during the game, and seized the moment to score what was apparently a big social media win by creating and tweeting a power failure related ad message during the game delay. According to an ad executive, "You need a brave brand to approve content that quickly."
The result of that courageous social media effort was getting 12,000 people to re-tweet their message. (As compared to the 100,000,000 people who saw their commercial on TV.)
Other companies had similar social media operations.
The end times are near, my friends. The news of the Apocalypse will be delivered to your smartphone notification bar.
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (14 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (8 replies)
- BREAKING: Halls Shopper joins the 21st Century, fans rejoice! (12 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (198 replies)
- Metro Pulse and Cas Walker (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (1 hour 42 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (9 hours 12 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 8 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)