Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Oh no! Say it ain't so Fresh Market (22 replies)
- DNC rolls back Obama ban on contributions from federal lobbyists (1 reply)
- Nate Silver forecasts 50/50 chance that either Dem wins in Nevada (5 replies)
- Maybe the dog ate his diploma? (6 replies)
- Early voting update: Where are all the Democrats? (3 replies)
- Pilot update (19 replies)
- Delegate counts (10 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (6 replies)
- UT target of "sweeping" sexual assault lawsuit (11 replies)
- Bernaroo (1 reply)
- Bernie Sanders raises $6.4 million in first 24 hours after NH polls close (2 replies)
- What's up at South-Doyle High School? (5 replies)