Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (14 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (8 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (10 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (48 replies)
- UT students are back! (14 replies)
- Thanks for the memories! (1 reply)
- Free speech proves costly (4 replies)
- Hillary Clinton campaign office to open in Knox County (11 replies)
- How Haslam is reshaping Tennessee environmental rules (6 replies)
- a small but notable defeat for privatization (9 replies)
- Interest rates at (pre) historic lows (6 replies)
- Trump train changing direction? (30 replies)
- Aug 24 2016 - 12:00pm (11 hours 42 min from now)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (3 days 13 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 6 days from now)