Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Grace Hopper: The Queen of Code (1 reply)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (9 replies)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (3 replies)
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (16 replies)
- 13th Annual ChiliFest! (1 reply)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (22 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday reports mounting losses, continuing decline in same store sales (35 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (11 replies)
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (6 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Feb 2 2015 - 6:15pm (1 day 34 min from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (3 days 22 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (4 days 19 min from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (5 days 22 hours from now)