Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- McIntyre: Burchett remarks "appalling" and "ignorant" (28 replies)
- 10th anniversay of US invasion of Iraq (40 replies)
- TN Supreme Court Ruling on Property Rights (4 replies)
- Patient advocates say insurers avoiding the sick (1 reply)
- Books Sandwiched In Welcomes Alvin Nance This Wednesday! (3 replies)
- Unemployment up in Tennessee (8 replies)
- ISIS (39 replies)
- Why can't the US make erasers? (9 replies)
- August 18 (16 replies)
- Maybe he was trying to get help? (2 replies)
- JD3 cleared to run for Congress (26 replies)
- Rites of geezerdom passage: Box wines (22 replies)