Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Tennessee Congressional Candidate Charged With Plot to Burn N.Y. Mosque (2 replies)
- It's a dark, sad day in Knoxville's journalism community (3 replies)
- Downtown teen curfew in Knoxville? (4 replies)
- Toxic chemicals from train incident suspected in Culton Creek fish kill (16 replies)
- Suttree Landing Park groundbreaking (3 replies)
- Greek humor (1 reply)
- Funny letter to the editor (12 replies)
- Concert performances you have experienced (and can remember) (55 replies)
- school board meeting underway (102 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. project: There's an app for that (37 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (33 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (9 replies)