Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (42 replies)
- Redefining Scrooge (8 replies)
- High profile investor: Charter schools are a business (8 replies)
- ISIS (143 replies)
- Gordon Ball earns an 'F' from NRA (1 reply)
- Tennessee unemployment, poverty rates increase (1 reply)
- City of Alcoa-Sam's Club first step in New Urbanism? (7 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (35 replies)
- Discussion about new hybrid pension plan for TN educators (1 reply)
- Interesting background on new Attorney General (25 replies)
- Cagle: Tough times ahead for Haslsm (9 replies)
- Most educated town in every state (2 replies)
- Sep 22 2014 - 4:15pm (2 days 22 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (4 days 12 min from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (4 days 57 min from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (5 days 23 hours from now)