Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Women in Black vigils (3 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (36 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (36 replies)
- E.W. Scripps getting out of the newspaper business (39 replies)
- Sales tax holiday weekend starts today (2 replies)
- Huffman caves (4 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (11 replies)
- Ice-free Arctic may come as soon as 2054, study says (9 replies)
- First Friday Celebration with Knox Co Democratic Party (1 reply)
- Turnout predictions? (22 replies)
- NLRB rules on Browning-Ferris: MickyD's workers have the right to know for whom they work (4 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (33 replies)