Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- County Commissioner Brad Anders disciplined in police brutality case (160 replies)
- Pilot indictment watch (94 replies)
- Knox County educators to host roundtable discussion on teacher pay schedules (7 replies)
- WATE: Three more Pilot Flying J employees plead guilty (7 replies)
- Famous people you have met (79 replies)
- World's Fair Park development? (15 replies)
- With us or against us (4 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (257 replies)
- 2013 Shootings in Knox County, TN (59 replies)
- How bad is the job market in Tennessee? (5 replies)
- Wheels coming off Meals on Wheels (3 replies)
- Pandora et al (2 replies)
- Jun 19 2013 - 2:00pm (2 hours 48 min from now)
- Jun 20 2013 - 5:00pm (1 day 5 hours from now)
- Jun 22 2013 - 10:00am (2 days 22 hours from now)