Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- so this is it ... (3 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (6 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)