Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Tyson Park, not a family destination (24 replies)
- Kim Severance stepping down from school board, won't seek reelection (1 reply)
- Superintendent's holiday message to teachers (38 replies)
- New York bans styrofoam (23 replies)
- Holiday cooking/baking tip (3 replies)
- The Paint Drying Channel (18 replies)
- Mark Harmon's "Knox Beat" old time radio show (10 replies)
- Zeitgeist Studies (1 reply)
- In Memoriam (5 replies)
- Survey: Perceptions of South Knoxville (5 replies)
- Lottery: it's all about the students (13 replies)
- Kaiser foundation on coverage gap (3 replies)