Haslam threw out an eye-raiser yesterday, saying that Tennessee was ranked first or second on violent crime.
The statistic actually comes from the U.S. Peace Index: (link...)
If you look at their methodology, the index takes into account per capita rates of police officers and incarceration, and "availability of small arms" (e.g., gun ownership).
So, Haslam is taking public policy hints from hippies now? If he wants to improve our ranking, he needs to quit building for-profit prisons and enact sweeping gun control.
- Shoulda got Moxley (92 replies)
- Honey Bees Question (2 replies)
- CCA under federal investigation (3 replies)
- Daily Show: Third world health care in Knoxville (32 replies)
- FINAL CALL! Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (28 replies)
- The 5 National Parks Hardest Hit by the Government Shutdown (2 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (and 'Faux' Parents) (5 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (16 replies)
- Fulton Lady Falcons win at state quarterfinals, 67-49 over Cannon County (5 replies)
- Shame on you Gov. Haslam (14 replies)
- What's the deal with switchblades? (27 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (7 replies)