We needed an antidote to the news, and Moonrise Kingdom filled the bill. I'm not quite sure what to make of this quirky story about two kids who don't fit in and how they choose to deal with it, except to say that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
It unfolds like a storybook, and the opening scene portends the symphonic layering of the story you are about to see. The understated, at times surreal, cinematic style is a refreshing reminder that not everything has to be over the top and in your face to be effective and entertaining.
(They didn't have to kill the dog, though. But the director apparently has a weird penchant for killing off dog characters in his movies. It's not so tragic otherwise, and in fact uplifting.)
- MPC public meeting on Bearden Mixed Use District zoning proposal (2 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Thursday edition (10 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Tuesday edition (39 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (365 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Wednesday edition (14 replies)
- Trump calls on Russia to conduct espionage aganst the United States (8 replies)
- Cumberland Avenue is a mess (15 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (50 replies)
- It's official... (5 replies)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (6 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Monday edition (25 replies)
- After 87 years, Pease Furniture closing (2 replies)