We needed an antidote to the news, and Moonrise Kingdom filled the bill. I'm not quite sure what to make of this quirky story about two kids who don't fit in and how they choose to deal with it, except to say that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
It unfolds like a storybook, and the opening scene portends the symphonic layering of the story you are about to see. The understated, at times surreal, cinematic style is a refreshing reminder that not everything has to be over the top and in your face to be effective and entertaining.
(They didn't have to kill the dog, though. But the director apparently has a weird penchant for killing off dog characters in his movies. It's not so tragic otherwise, and in fact uplifting.)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (38 replies)
- We are TARGEEEEET!!! (1 reply)
- Gunman attacks Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic (5 replies)
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (64 replies)
- Right-wing contortions (3 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (343 replies)
- Happy Thanksgiving! (2 replies)
- KCSO Proposed Safety Center (4 replies)
- McIntyre's self-evaluation (13 replies)
- Lady Justice is Missing (21 replies)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (10 replies)
- From Our "McElroy is Blithering" Dept... (7 replies)