We needed an antidote to the news, and Moonrise Kingdom filled the bill. I'm not quite sure what to make of this quirky story about two kids who don't fit in and how they choose to deal with it, except to say that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
It unfolds like a storybook, and the opening scene portends the symphonic layering of the story you are about to see. The understated, at times surreal, cinematic style is a refreshing reminder that not everything has to be over the top and in your face to be effective and entertaining.
(They didn't have to kill the dog, though. But the director apparently has a weird penchant for killing off dog characters in his movies. It's not so tragic otherwise, and in fact uplifting.)
- Oh no! Say it ain't so Fresh Market (20 replies)
- DNC rolls back Obama ban on contributions from federal lobbyists (1 reply)
- Nate Silver forecasts 50/50 chance that either Dem wins in Nevada (5 replies)
- Maybe the dog ate his diploma? (6 replies)
- Early voting update: Where are all the Democrats? (3 replies)
- Pilot update (19 replies)
- Delegate counts (10 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (6 replies)
- UT target of "sweeping" sexual assault lawsuit (11 replies)
- Bernaroo (1 reply)
- Bernie Sanders raises $6.4 million in first 24 hours after NH polls close (2 replies)
- What's up at South-Doyle High School? (5 replies)