We needed an antidote to the news, and Moonrise Kingdom filled the bill. I'm not quite sure what to make of this quirky story about two kids who don't fit in and how they choose to deal with it, except to say that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
It unfolds like a storybook, and the opening scene portends the symphonic layering of the story you are about to see. The understated, at times surreal, cinematic style is a refreshing reminder that not everything has to be over the top and in your face to be effective and entertaining.
(They didn't have to kill the dog, though. But the director apparently has a weird penchant for killing off dog characters in his movies. It's not so tragic otherwise, and in fact uplifting.)
- Will Trump last four years? (50 replies)
- Jobless Rate Hits Nine-Year Low; 178,000 Jobs Added (1 reply)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (85 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (41 replies)
- RIP John Glenn (1 reply)
- Mountaintop removal coal mining banned in East TN (5 replies)
- This is the dumbest thing I've seen all week (1 reply)
- National Weather Service facing major cutbacks (3 replies)
- 2016 Harvest Of Souls Continues (3 replies)
- City to begin enforcing parking meter time limits (22 replies)
- Feeling old, again (12 replies)
- Jill Stein attempts to raise $2 million by Friday 4:00 pm for recounts (35 replies)