The City of Knoxville has completed installation of 22 directional signs along the bicycle route from downtown to Ijams Nature Center in South Knoxville. More in the press release after the break...
City press release...
SIGNS POSTED FOR SOUTH KNOXVILLE BICYCLE ROUTE
The second of several planned signed bicycle routes in the City of Knoxville is complete, with directional signs showing the way from downtown to Ijams Nature Center in South Knoxville and back. The approximately 3.6-mile route runs partly along City streets and partly on the Will Skelton Greenway.
"Much of South Knoxville is easily accessible from downtown by bicycle," said City Engineering Director Jim Hagerman, who lives in the Island Home neighborhood and commutes to the City County Building via bicycle himself. "I hope these signs encourage more cyclists to take the ride, whether as commuters or leisure riders."
There are 22 signs posted on poles along the route. It begins on Gay Street between Main and Hill avenues, crosses the river and continues on to Sevier Avenue. It then takes Island Home Avenue to Spence Place, and connects to the Will Skelton Greenway at Island Home Park. It follows the greenway for 1.3 miles to Ijams Nature Center. There is also a signed spur to and from Volunteer Landing, so cyclists can access the route from the Outdoor Knoxville Adventure Center.
The signs are each 6 3/4" by 30". A map of the route is online here.
The South Knoxville route connects on Gay Street to the first signed route, which runs from downtown through West Knoxville to Cedar Bluff. Future routes are planned through East Knoxville, to Chilhowee Park and the Knoxville Zoo, and through North Knoxville to the Alice Bell community and Knoxville Center mall.
- What's at stake with Amendment One (13 replies)
- 'No' votes on Amendment 1 changed to 'Yes' (3 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (304 replies)
- Literary artists in the house! Homes given to writers for free in Detroit (3 replies)
- A Great Response to a False and Deceptive Ad (16 replies)
- Here's a fun way to explain our State Senate Race (7 replies)
- Town Hall Forum (1 reply)
- International Baccalaureate (8 replies)
- ISIS+ (10 replies)
- We're calling a personal foul on Gloria Johnson's opponent (18 replies)
- Burlington is back (10 replies)
- Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings (8 replies)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (3 days 10 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 10 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (5 days 11 hours from now)