The City of Knoxville has completed installation of 22 directional signs along the bicycle route from downtown to Ijams Nature Center in South Knoxville. More in the press release after the break...
City press release...
SIGNS POSTED FOR SOUTH KNOXVILLE BICYCLE ROUTE
The second of several planned signed bicycle routes in the City of Knoxville is complete, with directional signs showing the way from downtown to Ijams Nature Center in South Knoxville and back. The approximately 3.6-mile route runs partly along City streets and partly on the Will Skelton Greenway.
"Much of South Knoxville is easily accessible from downtown by bicycle," said City Engineering Director Jim Hagerman, who lives in the Island Home neighborhood and commutes to the City County Building via bicycle himself. "I hope these signs encourage more cyclists to take the ride, whether as commuters or leisure riders."
There are 22 signs posted on poles along the route. It begins on Gay Street between Main and Hill avenues, crosses the river and continues on to Sevier Avenue. It then takes Island Home Avenue to Spence Place, and connects to the Will Skelton Greenway at Island Home Park. It follows the greenway for 1.3 miles to Ijams Nature Center. There is also a signed spur to and from Volunteer Landing, so cyclists can access the route from the Outdoor Knoxville Adventure Center.
The signs are each 6 3/4" by 30". A map of the route is online here.
The South Knoxville route connects on Gay Street to the first signed route, which runs from downtown through West Knoxville to Cedar Bluff. Future routes are planned through East Knoxville, to Chilhowee Park and the Knoxville Zoo, and through North Knoxville to the Alice Bell community and Knoxville Center mall.
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (3 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (10 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)
- Chuck Berry, rock 'n' roll pioneer, dead at 90 (1 reply)
- Mar 24 2017 - 9:00am (2 hours 10 min from now)
- Mar 28 2017 - 6:30pm (4 days 11 hours from now)
- Mar 29 2017 - 12:00pm (5 days 5 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (4 weeks 6 days from now)