From the New York Times: Rove’s On-Air Rebuttal of Fox’s Ohio Vote Call Raises Questions About His Role
The times discussed Rove's many overlapping roles. They don't quite get to the question that this description prompted for me:
"It was 11:13 p.m. on Tuesday, the moment that Fox News had called Ohio for President Obama. Karl Rove stood just off camera, his phone glued to his ear. On the other end was a senior Romney campaign official who insisted that the network had blown the call."
Rove is chairman of one of the largest SuperPACs involved in the election. As we all know, the Supreme Court has taken the lid off of these kinds of organizations, allowing unlimited contributions and spending. They seemingly left only one rule in place: a SuperPAC cannot coordinate with the official campaign. We all know there's a wink and another wink that goes along with that rule, but I have to ask: What was the Chair of Crossroads GPS and American Crossroads SuperPACs doing on the phone with a top Romney campaign official on election night, trying to influence the reporting of a major media outlet? Is this not clear evidence of a flagrant disregard for the one rule?
Everyone has been so focused on the hilarity of the scene that ensued, I think the importance of that moment has been missed. Right there at that moment was the embodiment of the ongoing collusion of all those organizations. This deserves more attention.
- Pilot update (14 replies)
- Mark Harmon: History of public education has deep roots (7 replies)
- At least they're trying (4 replies)
- Google Rolls Out Free Gigabit Internet Service to Public Housing (4 replies)
- Democrat Heather Hensley announces run for State House 89th district (9 replies)
- Nashville DA sues TV reporter Phil Williams for $200M (1 reply)
- Gloria Johnson announces State House candidacy (15 replies)
- Here we go. Finally. (56 replies)
- Knoxville City Council tackles payday lenders (12 replies)
- Candidate Campaign Financial Disclosures are posted for contested BOE seats (9 replies)
- Groundhog Day - Spring is on its way! (1 reply)
- Boston 1964: the way it was (10 replies)