On our recent field trip, we visited the Franklin D. Roosevelt Little White House in Warm Springs Georgia. There's a great museum and you can tour the Little White House and grounds. It's near the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation.
The museum has some interesting artifacts and exhibits. Perhaps my favorite was the rural electrification exhibit. (FDR would probably not be happy with how TVA has turned out.) Also, for some reason I had never made the connection between the Roosevelt Dime and the March of Dimes. (There was also a traveling exhibit telling the horrifying story of Ravensbruck, the only major Nazi concentration camp for women with which I wasn't familiar.)
In the residence, there's a living room/study with a fireplace and bookshelves, along with a couch and a small wooden desk and chair. There's a photo of FDR sitting at the desk working on a major speech. It really struck me how one of the most powerful men on Earth was sitting at a simple wooden desk with a pen and paper plotting the fate of the world.
Contrast that to modern times, with jumbo jets, computers, and satellite communications that travel with the president 7/24. FDR's generation accomplished incredible things with little more than telephones and telegraphs, sometimes from modest, almost spartan remote outposts guarded only by a few Marine and Secret Service guard shacks.
FDR was sitting for a portrait in the study in 1945 when he was stricken by a cerebral hemorrhage. They took him to his bedroom where he died. The unfinished portrait is on display at the museum.
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (6 replies)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (15 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (6 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (9 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (10 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Answers at Saturday's annual SPJ legislative session (8 replies)
- Mayor Rogero responds to News Sentinel allegation of sunshine violation (17 replies)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (1 reply)
- Iindependent Lens file: A Path Appears (2 replies)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (6 days 1 hour from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (6 days 2 hours from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)