And you thought the closing of the Henley Bridge was an inconvenience...
No one was injured in this incident, however, traffic crossing Land Between the Lakes must now route through either Grand Rivers at the northern end of Kentucky Lake or Paris Landing at the southern end to get east and west.
The Delta Mariner was apparently attempting to traverse under the bridge using the recreational channel rather than the navigational channel; it was heading from Decatur, AL northbound. (In the picture below, you can see the river gage painted on one of the columns to the left of the boat. The bow of the boat points north, i.e. towards Kentucky Dam at Grand Rivers.)
The bridge, built in 1932, was in the process of being replaced (courtesy in part due to Recovery Act funds). However, that work was not due to start until 2013.
Perhaps the company that owns the Delta Mariner can provide a free ferry service in the interim.
- Haslam's legacy (20 replies)
- The best states for bicycling (12 replies)
- David Letterman signs off (2 replies)
- Good guys just stand out (1 reply)
- Mark Harmon on American Exceptionalism (3 replies)
- DTV Features Honor Air Knoxville and Eddie Mannis (1 reply)
- Boy Scout president calls for end to ban on gay leaders (2 replies)
- Haven't bragged about the SIL lately (3 replies)
- State and federal complaints filed against Knoxville charity (18 replies)
- Politically connected defendant will plead guilty to a lesser charge (9 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (38 replies)
- Takata Air Bag Recall grows (5 replies)