And you thought the closing of the Henley Bridge was an inconvenience...
No one was injured in this incident, however, traffic crossing Land Between the Lakes must now route through either Grand Rivers at the northern end of Kentucky Lake or Paris Landing at the southern end to get east and west.
The Delta Mariner was apparently attempting to traverse under the bridge using the recreational channel rather than the navigational channel; it was heading from Decatur, AL northbound. (In the picture below, you can see the river gage painted on one of the columns to the left of the boat. The bow of the boat points north, i.e. towards Kentucky Dam at Grand Rivers.)
The bridge, built in 1932, was in the process of being replaced (courtesy in part due to Recovery Act funds). However, that work was not due to start until 2013.
Perhaps the company that owns the Delta Mariner can provide a free ferry service in the interim.
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (6 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Briggs (187 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (3 replies)
- KNS running more misleading ads (2 replies)
- Education Meeting Tuesday at Central High School (4 replies)
- R.I.P. James Garner (5 replies)
- This Map Shows Just How Hot Your City Will Become Thanks to Climate Change (6 replies)
- Comcast customer "service" fail (16 replies)
- I did not know this about U.S. Senate campaign finance reports (2 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 10 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (4 days 1 hour from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (1 week 2 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 10 hours from now)