And you thought the closing of the Henley Bridge was an inconvenience...
No one was injured in this incident, however, traffic crossing Land Between the Lakes must now route through either Grand Rivers at the northern end of Kentucky Lake or Paris Landing at the southern end to get east and west.
The Delta Mariner was apparently attempting to traverse under the bridge using the recreational channel rather than the navigational channel; it was heading from Decatur, AL northbound. (In the picture below, you can see the river gage painted on one of the columns to the left of the boat. The bow of the boat points north, i.e. towards Kentucky Dam at Grand Rivers.)
The bridge, built in 1932, was in the process of being replaced (courtesy in part due to Recovery Act funds). However, that work was not due to start until 2013.
Perhaps the company that owns the Delta Mariner can provide a free ferry service in the interim.
- Robert Reich to speak in Knoxville (16 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (59 replies)
- FBI Pilot investigation inching closer to the top (1 reply)
- What's up with E.W. Scripps? (4 replies)
- Planets align on Siler v. Briggs debate (6 replies)
- BREAKING: Herron will not seek second term as TNDP chair (14 replies)
- South Waterfront update: A lot happening (13 replies)
- Bar Marley (6 replies)
- Obamacare's not perfect (duh!) (2 replies)
- Watch this and get inspired (3 replies)
- A future for I-40? (18 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (39 replies)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (4 hours 17 min ago)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (3 hours 32 min ago)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (1 day 19 hours from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)