And you thought the closing of the Henley Bridge was an inconvenience...
No one was injured in this incident, however, traffic crossing Land Between the Lakes must now route through either Grand Rivers at the northern end of Kentucky Lake or Paris Landing at the southern end to get east and west.
The Delta Mariner was apparently attempting to traverse under the bridge using the recreational channel rather than the navigational channel; it was heading from Decatur, AL northbound. (In the picture below, you can see the river gage painted on one of the columns to the left of the boat. The bow of the boat points north, i.e. towards Kentucky Dam at Grand Rivers.)
The bridge, built in 1932, was in the process of being replaced (courtesy in part due to Recovery Act funds). However, that work was not due to start until 2013.
Perhaps the company that owns the Delta Mariner can provide a free ferry service in the interim.
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (11 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (13 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)