Mark Padgett called to personally let me know that neither he, his campaign, nor anybody he knows was in any way involved with the offensive mailer being circulated by a "A Concerned Knoxville Republican."
Further, he said he is "appalled" and "disgusted by it," adding that it was one of the worst things he's ever seen and "the first thing I've read during this campaign that made me physically ill." He also categorically rejected any suggestion that Madeline's campaign was behind it as some sort of attempt to damage him.
He said that whoever wrote this is "not for me, or Madeline, or Knoxville," and that this kind of hateful rhetoric "divides us instead of uniting us." He said he will be happy when people stop talking about it and get back to the issues.
Padgett also said that he has reached out to Madeline and her campaign to tell her the same thing and ask her to join him in a coordinated effort to find out who sent it. He hopes that together they can gather as many original copies as possible and turn them over to authorities to be fingerprinted and investigated as a "potential hate crime."
PREVIOUSLY: Hateful mailing from Padgett "supporter"
UPDATE: Statement from Rogero
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (1 reply)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (6 replies)
- so this is it ... (1 reply)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)