Mark Padgett called to personally let me know that neither he, his campaign, nor anybody he knows was in any way involved with the offensive mailer being circulated by a "A Concerned Knoxville Republican."
Further, he said he is "appalled" and "disgusted by it," adding that it was one of the worst things he's ever seen and "the first thing I've read during this campaign that made me physically ill." He also categorically rejected any suggestion that Madeline's campaign was behind it as some sort of attempt to damage him.
He said that whoever wrote this is "not for me, or Madeline, or Knoxville," and that this kind of hateful rhetoric "divides us instead of uniting us." He said he will be happy when people stop talking about it and get back to the issues.
Padgett also said that he has reached out to Madeline and her campaign to tell her the same thing and ask her to join him in a coordinated effort to find out who sent it. He hopes that together they can gather as many original copies as possible and turn them over to authorities to be fingerprinted and investigated as a "potential hate crime."
PREVIOUSLY: Hateful mailing from Padgett "supporter"
UPDATE: Statement from Rogero
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (18 replies)
- Briggs (189 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (8 replies)
- Adams fundraising update (2 replies)
- R.I.P. James Garner (6 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (11 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (10 replies)
- Gang of 4.0 on radio this morning (3 replies)
- Should Knox Co. Democrats cross over in the upcoming primaries? (42 replies)
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (1 day 12 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (3 days 3 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (6 days 4 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (6 days 11 hours from now)