Once again, Congressman Duncan has shown the courage to oppose the worst instincts of his own party. He said on the House floor that "I believe 80 percent of Republicans would have opposed the war in Iraq if it had been started by President (Bill) Clinton or (Al) Gore, and probably almost all the Democrats would have been supporting it, as they did the bombings in Bosnia and Kosovo (during the Clinton administration)," and proceeded to vote against the attempt by House Republicans to turn the war from a liabilty to a political plus. Daniel Larison has the goods on the new House Majority Leader and his scheme:
House Majority Leader Boehner shows that he deserves to lead the morally and politically bankrupt GOP majority by embracing its most indefensible and dreadful policy with absolute conviction and the willful blindness that has characterised its most adamant defenders since the beginning. Most news reports neglected to include Rep. Boehner's most inflammatory and offensive comment (which I saw in this morning's WSJ print edition), when he said:
It's time to stand up and vote. Is it al Qaeda or is it America?
Presumably he thinks that voting for his position on Iraq puts you in league with America rather than al Qaeda (some choice!). If Mr. Boehner really wants to cast the divide over Iraq policy that starkly, he had better be ready for the response, and he may find that he is actually on the wrong side of that rhetorical question.
The beauty part is that Glenn Reynolds -- Knoxville's Barney Fife in the War on Terror -- thinks the resolution is a good reason to vote Republican in the forthcoming election; but his Republican representative voted with most of the Democrats.
- Well, this is awkward (10 replies)
- Briggs misleads, comes across as a bully (20 replies)
- The new standard for Knox Co. Schools? (2 replies)
- What's The Strategy for Fighting Amendment One? (10 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (81 replies)
- Shopper-News online (3 replies)
- Briggs and Military Uniform policy (5 replies)
- Knox County 2014 State Primary and County General Election Sample Ballot (3 replies)
- The Oldest Bar In Every State (14 replies)
- Geek tip for Klipsch owners: Bob Crites (3 replies)
- Somewhat original thinking for an old problem - a "bottom-up approach to fiscal policy" (7 replies)
- Business Buzzword Bingo, 1962. (3 replies)
- Oct 2 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 4 min from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (4 days 20 hours from now)