Once again, Congressman Duncan has shown the courage to oppose the worst instincts of his own party. He said on the House floor that "I believe 80 percent of Republicans would have opposed the war in Iraq if it had been started by President (Bill) Clinton or (Al) Gore, and probably almost all the Democrats would have been supporting it, as they did the bombings in Bosnia and Kosovo (during the Clinton administration)," and proceeded to vote against the attempt by House Republicans to turn the war from a liabilty to a political plus. Daniel Larison has the goods on the new House Majority Leader and his scheme:
House Majority Leader Boehner shows that he deserves to lead the morally and politically bankrupt GOP majority by embracing its most indefensible and dreadful policy with absolute conviction and the willful blindness that has characterised its most adamant defenders since the beginning. Most news reports neglected to include Rep. Boehner's most inflammatory and offensive comment (which I saw in this morning's WSJ print edition), when he said:
It's time to stand up and vote. Is it al Qaeda or is it America?
Presumably he thinks that voting for his position on Iraq puts you in league with America rather than al Qaeda (some choice!). If Mr. Boehner really wants to cast the divide over Iraq policy that starkly, he had better be ready for the response, and he may find that he is actually on the wrong side of that rhetorical question.
The beauty part is that Glenn Reynolds -- Knoxville's Barney Fife in the War on Terror -- thinks the resolution is a good reason to vote Republican in the forthcoming election; but his Republican representative voted with most of the Democrats.
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (6 replies)
- Trump budget (13 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (3 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)
- Chuck Berry, rock 'n' roll pioneer, dead at 90 (1 reply)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (51 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (112 replies)
- Rep. Diane Black fishing around for info on Medicaid block grants (3 replies)
- Mar 24 2017 - 9:00am (1 day 8 hours from now)
- Mar 28 2017 - 6:30pm (5 days 18 hours from now)
- Mar 29 2017 - 12:00pm (6 days 11 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (5 weeks 17 hours from now)