A Republican candidate for Governor of Idaho joked about getting license to hunt President Obama. He later said everyone should have known he was joking because Idaho doesn't have jurisdiction over hunting in D.C.
A Baptist preacher in Arizona gave a sermon in which he prayed for the death of President Obama and his family. A member of his congregation showed up at an Obama health care rally toting an assault rifle and a handgun.
The Secret Service detained a man carrying a "Death to Obama" sign at a town hall meeting in Maryland.
These are just a few examples of a disturbing trend. A recent book about the Secret Service says death threats against the president have increased 400% since Obama's election.
It's almost not fair to lay this at the doorstep of the Republican Party. Most of these idiots are libertarians, or apolitical from being too stupid and uninformed to form a cognitive thought on politics or policy (Republican candidates for governor of Idaho notwithstanding). But the Republican Party has tapped this boiling-over hatred to fuel resentment and distrust of anything resembling progressive reforms. They are spreading lies and misinformation like a virus, infecting a large swath of America with a bad case of right-wing foaming at the mouth rabies.
And there's a racial element. The operator of a popular white supremacist website said that 2000 new members joined the day after the election and that an overwhelming increase in activity crashed the site. Otherwise "normal" people are showing up at public protests with their hatred on full display.
This stuff is getting scary.
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (102 replies)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (9 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (39 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (46 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (11 replies)
- Proposed ozone rules grab East Tennessee mayors' attention (6 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (8 replies)
- Kroger Seasoning Recall includes Knoxville Area (2 replies)
- Blue Hair for Bernie - Canceled (1 reply)
- Marines to volunteer armed guards: Thanks but no thanks (6 replies)
- Trump: John McCain is no war hero, plus he's a loser (20 replies)
- Eastbound Cumberland Ave. to close for six weeks (1 reply)
- Jul 29 2015 - 12:00pm (8 hours 7 min ago)
- Jul 29 2015 - 6:00pm (2 hours 7 min ago)
- Aug 7 2015 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 weeks 1 day from now)