A Republican candidate for Governor of Idaho joked about getting license to hunt President Obama. He later said everyone should have known he was joking because Idaho doesn't have jurisdiction over hunting in D.C.
A Baptist preacher in Arizona gave a sermon in which he prayed for the death of President Obama and his family. A member of his congregation showed up at an Obama health care rally toting an assault rifle and a handgun.
The Secret Service detained a man carrying a "Death to Obama" sign at a town hall meeting in Maryland.
These are just a few examples of a disturbing trend. A recent book about the Secret Service says death threats against the president have increased 400% since Obama's election.
It's almost not fair to lay this at the doorstep of the Republican Party. Most of these idiots are libertarians, or apolitical from being too stupid and uninformed to form a cognitive thought on politics or policy (Republican candidates for governor of Idaho notwithstanding). But the Republican Party has tapped this boiling-over hatred to fuel resentment and distrust of anything resembling progressive reforms. They are spreading lies and misinformation like a virus, infecting a large swath of America with a bad case of right-wing foaming at the mouth rabies.
And there's a racial element. The operator of a popular white supremacist website said that 2000 new members joined the day after the election and that an overwhelming increase in activity crashed the site. Otherwise "normal" people are showing up at public protests with their hatred on full display.
This stuff is getting scary.
- Note to car bloggers: Do not mess with Jeff Gordon (5 replies)
- Here's a fun way to explain our State Senate Race (7 replies)
- What's at stake with Amendment One (9 replies)
- A Great Response to a False and Deceptive Ad (14 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (284 replies)
- Town Hall Forum (1 reply)
- International Baccalaureate (8 replies)
- ISIS+ (10 replies)
- We're calling a personal foul on Gloria Johnson's opponent (18 replies)
- Burlington is back (10 replies)
- Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings (8 replies)
- No-Show Smith finally shows up – But guess where? (16 replies)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (4 days 14 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (4 days 14 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (6 days 15 hours from now)