According to a press release, bottled water uses 2,000 times more energy and is 1,000 times more expensive than tap water, and requires enough fuel to power more than 3,000,000 vehicles a year. Further, plastic water bottles take 1,000 years to biodegrade and 90% of them end up in landfills.
More than 600,000 disposable plastic water bottles were recycled at Bonnaroo last year. This year, Bonnaroo will provide, in addition to free well water, free filtered water refill stations where festival attendees can refill their reusable water bottles. Each reusable water bottle will replace up to 24 plastic water bottles over the four days of the festival.
As part of the promotion, Bonnaroo has teamed up with Stanley to offer a limited edition Bonnaroo stainless steel water bottle, which festival goers can order along with their tickets and pick up on site.
A couple of years ago we virtually eliminated the use of plastic bottled water. We got some Thermos stainless steel bottles (at Walgreens, if I recall). They work great and have paid for themselves many times over as compared to the cost of bottled water. The Stanley line looks pretty nice, too.
(The Thermos bottles aren't suitable for hot drinks like coffee, though. For that you might consider a travel mug or Tervis Tumblers with snap on lids.)
In addition to the refrigerator's built-in filtered ice/water dispenser, we also got a faucet-mount Pur water filter. Filtered tap water makes your coffee taste a hundred times better, and is great for cooking.
- The Dean is signing off (8 replies)
- TDOT making Chapman Highway safety improvements (3 replies)
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (5 replies)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (19 replies)
- Infrastructure grades (5 replies)
- Welcome, Andi! (1 reply)
- Dark money comes to school board races. The source? Charter school advocates (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (31 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (63 replies)
- The millennial vote? (12 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (22 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (19 replies)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (4 days 23 hours from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (5 days 23 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 16 2016 - 7:00pm (2 weeks 1 day from now)