According to a press release, bottled water uses 2,000 times more energy and is 1,000 times more expensive than tap water, and requires enough fuel to power more than 3,000,000 vehicles a year. Further, plastic water bottles take 1,000 years to biodegrade and 90% of them end up in landfills.
More than 600,000 disposable plastic water bottles were recycled at Bonnaroo last year. This year, Bonnaroo will provide, in addition to free well water, free filtered water refill stations where festival attendees can refill their reusable water bottles. Each reusable water bottle will replace up to 24 plastic water bottles over the four days of the festival.
As part of the promotion, Bonnaroo has teamed up with Stanley to offer a limited edition Bonnaroo stainless steel water bottle, which festival goers can order along with their tickets and pick up on site.
A couple of years ago we virtually eliminated the use of plastic bottled water. We got some Thermos stainless steel bottles (at Walgreens, if I recall). They work great and have paid for themselves many times over as compared to the cost of bottled water. The Stanley line looks pretty nice, too.
(The Thermos bottles aren't suitable for hot drinks like coffee, though. For that you might consider a travel mug or Tervis Tumblers with snap on lids.)
In addition to the refrigerator's built-in filtered ice/water dispenser, we also got a faucet-mount Pur water filter. Filtered tap water makes your coffee taste a hundred times better, and is great for cooking.
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (15 replies)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (7 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (15 replies)
- Lloyd Daugherty's statement regarding Supreme Court Chief Justice Gary Wade (12 replies)
- Sens. Bell and Kelsey ask AG to sue Obama (5 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (37 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (26 replies)
- ISIS (36 replies)
- George Flinn for Senate? (5 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (13 replies)
- Knoxville firefighters endorse Cheri Siler for State Senate (3 replies)
- Tennessee, an inauspicious place to raise children (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (5 hours 46 min ago)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (1 day 9 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (4 days 10 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (4 days 17 hours from now)