Rep. Stacey Campfield (R-Crazytown) is in the news again with his slate of Bizarro World legislative proposals, most of which are reruns.
He recently explained that joining a lawsuit demanding President Obama to turn over proof of his identity was just his way of defending Obama from attacks and helping him clear this up. Right.
Campfield is the Andy Kaufman of state politics. Or Ali G for you youngsters. He is running the longest performance art hoax in recent memory. There's no other logical explanation. His explanation to constituents regarding his quest for Obama's birth certificate gives him away.
Yes, we know he is "joking," but along with everything else it suggests that deep down he thinks some voters actually believe he's for real. He has no respect for the people of his district and regularly insults their intelligence. He doesn't take anything seriously, state politics is just a big joke, and the only thing he's interested in is getting his name in the paper.
People often wonder why the voters in his district keep electing him. Besides the fact that Democrats seem afraid to run against him, most folks can't even name their state representative and senator. When they go into the voting booth all they know is "Campfield? Isn't he that nice boy who knocked on our door and asked us to vote for him? I think I read about him in the paper. And I heard the liberals hate him, too." If they were paying attention, they would be embarrassed and insulted to even see his name on the ballot. But mostly embarrassed.
(Reviewed strictly on the merits of his performance art, though, we give him three and a half out of four stars, with a half point off for being a little too obvious.)
RELATED: Katie Allison Granju on Campfield's stream of sexually oriented legislation.
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- NASA study on global warming (1 reply)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (1 reply)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)
- The cutest thing you will see all day (7 replies)