Rep. Stacey Campfield (R-Crazytown) is in the news again with his slate of Bizarro World legislative proposals, most of which are reruns.
He recently explained that joining a lawsuit demanding President Obama to turn over proof of his identity was just his way of defending Obama from attacks and helping him clear this up. Right.
Campfield is the Andy Kaufman of state politics. Or Ali G for you youngsters. He is running the longest performance art hoax in recent memory. There's no other logical explanation. His explanation to constituents regarding his quest for Obama's birth certificate gives him away.
Yes, we know he is "joking," but along with everything else it suggests that deep down he thinks some voters actually believe he's for real. He has no respect for the people of his district and regularly insults their intelligence. He doesn't take anything seriously, state politics is just a big joke, and the only thing he's interested in is getting his name in the paper.
People often wonder why the voters in his district keep electing him. Besides the fact that Democrats seem afraid to run against him, most folks can't even name their state representative and senator. When they go into the voting booth all they know is "Campfield? Isn't he that nice boy who knocked on our door and asked us to vote for him? I think I read about him in the paper. And I heard the liberals hate him, too." If they were paying attention, they would be embarrassed and insulted to even see his name on the ballot. But mostly embarrassed.
(Reviewed strictly on the merits of his performance art, though, we give him three and a half out of four stars, with a half point off for being a little too obvious.)
RELATED: Katie Allison Granju on Campfield's stream of sexually oriented legislation.
- DTV hosts Dr. Bob Kronick on the subject of community schools tonight. (4 replies)
- A word before you rush out to buy those plants.... (7 replies)
- L.A. wants their school iPad money back (6 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (7 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. Redesign Detour/Closure (147 replies)
- Last ditch appeal to resurrect Insure Tennessee Medicaid expansion (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (27 replies)
- Allergies are kicking my butt this spring (11 replies)
- Need Your Opinion -- Why live in Knoxville and Where? (85 replies)
- What gives "conservatives" a bad name (15 replies)
- Downtown street musicians (6 replies)
- Santa Gov wants to give FedEx an early Christmas present (10 replies)