Online news subscriptions can quickly add up. Here are the monthly online/digital subscription fees for all the papers I read or would want to read online:
Knoxville News Sentinel: $12.00
Maryville Daily Times: $6.00
Chattanooga Times Free Press: $28.50
Nashville Tennessean: $12.00
Memphis Commercial Appeal: $14.00
New York Times: $35.00
Wall Street Journal: $27.00
Even if you leave out the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Maryville Daily Times to get just the papers from the four largest cities in Tennessee, the cost is $66.50/month.
That's a lot just to try to keep current with what's happening in the state. And it's almost necessary, because local newspaper coverage of state government is somewhat lacking and frequently biased, especially here. (Which makes us thankful for Tom Humphrey's blog.)
It would be nice if the papers in the four largest markets could work out some kind of subscription sharing deal, similar to their content sharing arrangement, that would allow subscribers of one paper occasional access to the others.
At least the Chattanooga and Nasvhille papers (and the Maryville Daily Times) allow a set number of free articles per month. That's nice for folks who have moved away but like to keep up with the goings on back home from time to time, and for news junkies trying to keep up with state business. The Scripps papers (Knoxville and Memphis) do not.
We subscribe to home delivery for the Knoxville News Sentinel ($25/mo.) and the Maryville Daily Times ($14/mo.), so we're already paying $39/mo. Online access is included with the News Sentinel subscription. The Daily Times charges $1/month extra, and I refuse to pay it out of principle.
Thankfully, national and world news is still mostly "free" (ad-supported) at portal sites such as Yahoo and Google, including AP content. We wonder how long that will last, though.
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (1 reply)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (8 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (3 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)
- Chuck Berry, rock 'n' roll pioneer, dead at 90 (1 reply)
- Mar 24 2017 - 9:00am (12 hours 29 min from now)
- Mar 28 2017 - 6:30pm (4 days 21 hours from now)
- Mar 29 2017 - 12:00pm (5 days 15 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (4 weeks 6 days from now)