Dorothy Bowles, U.T. Professor and member of the East Tennessee Society of Professional Journalists, alerts us to a proposal that would make it more difficult and expensive for citizens and journalists to access public records.
The deadline for public comment, which was only announced this week, is noon tomorrow (Thursday) and the hearing is on Friday. You can submit your comments here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dorothy has provided the following background info:
She explains more after the jump...
From Dorothy Bowles:
As you know, the recently enacted TN Open Records Act established a legal counsel's office to set fees for record requests in an attempt to have some consistency across the state.
Unfortunately, the statute allows for BOTH copying costs and labor costs.
The statute also established an Advisory Committee on Open Government, and I was appointed one of the members of that committee.
FRIDAY (yes, day after tomorrow) a public hearing will take place on a proposal that was only this week distributed by the legal counsel's office. Written comments will be accepted through NOON tomorrow.
Written comments can be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
I will attend the hearing and do everything I can to have open records without huge fees. But I expect that records custodians and their bosses across the state will storm the hearing. After all, it's part of their regular workday, whereas citizens would have to take a day off work to attend.
We need folks who believe that the taxpayers own public records and should be able to examine them to send comments to Nashville, but time is short.
- Grace Hopper: The Queen of Code (2 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (9 replies)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (3 replies)
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (16 replies)
- 13th Annual ChiliFest! (1 reply)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (22 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday reports mounting losses, continuing decline in same store sales (35 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (11 replies)
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (6 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Feb 2 2015 - 6:15pm (22 hours 56 min from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (3 days 21 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (3 days 22 hours from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (5 days 20 hours from now)