KPD press conference on yesterday's shooting is about to get underway. Watch it live here:
UPDATE: KPD chief said killer cites "hatred for liberal movement" as motive, mentions targeting liberals and "gays," TVUU church was specifically chosen.
Recap after the jump...
Police Chief Sterling Owen: Investigation is underway, some information may change as investigation continues.
Tuesday Aug. 5th., preliminary hearing for perpetrator.
Found 76 shotgun shells, including spent rounds. Three rounds fired. 12 gauge #4 shot.
Recovered shotgun. Brought into church inside guitar case, also recovered.
Purchased from a pawn shop. BATF is assisting in trace to determine if it is registered.
Lack of being able to obtain job, frustration, stated hatred for the liberal movement.
Recovered four page letter in which he describes feelings and his reasons.
Indicated he expected to be in there shooting people until police arrived and expected to be killed by police.
Criminal record: two DUIs, one in CA number of years ago, one more recently in Clinton.
Acting alone. No affiliation described in letter, search of residence appears to confirm.
Had it not been for hasty action by people in the sanctuary, there would have been many more deaths.
Not member of any organized group, but investigation is continuing.
Stated he was targeting liberals in general, and gays.
Appears he chose this church intentionally.
Investigating as a hate crime. FBI involved.
Appears he had been plotting action for a week or so.
Letter recovered from his vehicle in the parking lot of the church. Black 2004 Ford Escape.
Church had received publicity regarding its liberal stance, believe this is one of the reasons it was targeted.
Suspect has made a statement.
Have several videos from people at the church, police examining for evidence. Hope to get suspect on tape.
Shotgun purchased approx. one month ago. 12 gauge semi-automatic. Not saying where it was purchased.
Recovered handgun from suspect's house, .38 Rossi.
Police believe suspect was formerly a member of 101st Airborne.
Associates Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Worked in a variety of jobs all over the country. Most recently 2006 in Knoxville, according to his resume.
Suspect says he has no next of kin and no family. Did not state any church affiliation.
Don't know suspect's place of birth. Been in Knoxville for three or four years.
Will be charged with second murder.
Had food stamps reduced or eliminated according to recent letter from state, may have been upset about that as well.
Four page letter found in car, not addressed to anybody, signed by suspect.
Upset that liberals were getting jobs he couldn't get. Being excluded because of age.
Mayor: Thank members of congregation who saved many lives, and KPD for their job.
FBI Agent in Charge, Knoxville also there.
FBI: Use of force to interrupt practice of religion is a civil rights violation. Will work with DA to decide if there will be federal charges.
Police Chief: Letter will be released when introduced into evidence.
Five people in hospital, four critical, one serious.
- No Credit? No Problem (23 replies)
- George Flinn for Senate? (4 replies)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (5 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (10 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (13 replies)
- Knoxville firefighters endorse Cheri Siler for State Senate (3 replies)
- Tennessee, an inauspicious place to raise children (1 reply)
- State of Tennessee facing Medicaid enrollment lawsuit (4 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (1 reply)
- Congress comes together to help the disabled save, tax-free (1 reply)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (25 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (10 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (17 hours 25 min from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (2 days 8 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (5 days 9 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (5 days 16 hours from now)