Dendrobate Tinctorus "Patricia"
It is too hot to be outside right now, so I thought this was a good time to post some of my new critters. These are dendrobates, also known as “poison dart frogs”, or just dart frogs because when bred and raised in captivity they are not poisonous. I got interested in these colorful amphibians when exploring options for a large aquarium that had become available to me. My
internet search led me to a Massachusetts company called Black Jungle whose website ((link...)) has a photo gallery of tropical rain forest “vivariums” with waterfalls, live plants and natural wood. They are quite beautiful and that sold me because I have always loved frogs and these habitats were just wonderful. I now have 3 tanks with 7 frogs, mostly because I was hoping to have a breeding pair so I can experience the tadpole, metamorphosis and joy of raising a tiny new frog. Since their sex is not determined till they are older, you have to buy several in hopes of getting a breeding pair.
In addition to the special tank design and prep (temp and humidity monitored), I grow 3 different types of bugs, 2 specialized fruit flies and springtails. It will get even more complicated if there are ever any tadpoles.
They are not very big. They have grown some since this photo was taken. The largest ones are about the size of a thumb.
This is Tony and Biff, the smallest of all my frogs
Irene here is the largest. She loves to climb on the cork bark that is imbedded in the back of the tank. She and Milo are my only breeding pair, but no tadpoles yet.
Dendrobate Azureus - I call the three in this tank "my blue ladies".
Tropical rain forest vivarium- it took me several weeks to make this. The dining room table was my staging area.
These frogs are not recommended for children because they should not be handled and they do require a bunch of work. I tell all my friends with young children to get them something furry that likes to be cuddled and can eat critter chow, not live bugs.
(And I still have not made it to the zoo to see their dart frogs!)
So now you know what THIS commissioners wife does in her spare time.
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (1 reply)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)
- The cutest thing you will see all day (7 replies)
- Halls Shopper update (8 replies)