After having a brief lunch with a co-worker this afternoon, I walked with him up to the local RegionsBank HQ in Nashville so he could deposit a few checks.
As we're standing in the atrium, I observe that there are a couple of wall-mounted LCD widescreens, and they're showing Happy Feet on them both. So I muse aloud, "Hey, when I was a kid, my sisters and I didn't get to see a movie. We did, however, get a Dum-Dum lollipop after my mom concluded her business at the bank, so I think I got the better end of the deal." He nodded in agreement. "I like the root beer ones the best, I think. Cream soda is a close second."
Continuing, I wagered a Special Lunch Numero Cinco that as part of a cost-cutting measure, the bank had stopped giving out suckers at the tellers' window (I don't bank at Regions; I use a local credit union). "Something like that," I surmised, "just doesn't pass muster for this neo-Dickensian corporate age."
We approach the counter, and we ask the teller about this, couched in terms of "help us settle a bet."
Unfortunately, I lost, but only on a technicality. RegionsBank does in fact give out suckers, but they do so with a monthly allocation at the branch that runs out in approximately two days. Feh. In spirit, I think it's fair to say that they don't, in fact, make this a priority.
However, they're supposedly trying to "figure out a way" to pay for the suckers, as a lot of people have been asking about what happened to them. (Translated: The company is too cheap anymore to fund them out of petty cash, and some humorless bean counter probably won't consider them an allowable expense.)
So, the question remains: What financial institutions (branch or main office) still maintain this, one of the least among life's simple pleasures?
- Should city police and firefighters get a raise? (20 replies)
- Niceley, Campfield propose to arm teachers (15 replies)
- A few words about the state's incoming Education Commissioner (4 replies)
- Anybody else hear that loud, mysterious boom? (40 replies)
- Giving back (4 replies)
- Christmas tree recycling (1 reply)
- The year ahead for IT (4 replies)
- RIP Joe Cocker (8 replies)
- Christmas Carols (4 replies)
- Blurring the Racial Lines (53 replies)
- What are best places to get soup in Knoxville? (21 replies)
- How Is Haslam’s Medicaid Expansion Different From Regular TennCare? (1 reply)