After having a brief lunch with a co-worker this afternoon, I walked with him up to the local RegionsBank HQ in Nashville so he could deposit a few checks.
As we're standing in the atrium, I observe that there are a couple of wall-mounted LCD widescreens, and they're showing Happy Feet on them both. So I muse aloud, "Hey, when I was a kid, my sisters and I didn't get to see a movie. We did, however, get a Dum-Dum lollipop after my mom concluded her business at the bank, so I think I got the better end of the deal." He nodded in agreement. "I like the root beer ones the best, I think. Cream soda is a close second."
Continuing, I wagered a Special Lunch Numero Cinco that as part of a cost-cutting measure, the bank had stopped giving out suckers at the tellers' window (I don't bank at Regions; I use a local credit union). "Something like that," I surmised, "just doesn't pass muster for this neo-Dickensian corporate age."
We approach the counter, and we ask the teller about this, couched in terms of "help us settle a bet."
Unfortunately, I lost, but only on a technicality. RegionsBank does in fact give out suckers, but they do so with a monthly allocation at the branch that runs out in approximately two days. Feh. In spirit, I think it's fair to say that they don't, in fact, make this a priority.
However, they're supposedly trying to "figure out a way" to pay for the suckers, as a lot of people have been asking about what happened to them. (Translated: The company is too cheap anymore to fund them out of petty cash, and some humorless bean counter probably won't consider them an allowable expense.)
So, the question remains: What financial institutions (branch or main office) still maintain this, one of the least among life's simple pleasures?
- Five Knox Co. schools named as "Reward Schools" for performance and progress (5 replies)
- ISIS (47 replies)
- Gov Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power (18 replies)
- Conversations (5 replies)
- New pipeline (3 replies)
- McIntyre: Burchett remarks "appalling" and "ignorant" (39 replies)
- Gaza: it's about natural gas (5 replies)
- Are Achievement School District schools achieving? (1 reply)
- Who's worse: Delusional sellers or Realtors who enable them? (26 replies)
- Laying the foundation (18 replies)
- Police state of America (33 replies)
- Corporate profits (1 reply)
- Aug 23 2014 - 11:00am (1 day 3 hours from now)
- Aug 26 2014 - 6:00pm (4 days 10 hours from now)
- Aug 28 2014 - 6:00pm (6 days 10 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (2 weeks 5 days from now)