Newly appointed Commissioner Victoria DeFreese remarked in last week's Commission meeting that she had received "countless" e-mails, faxes, letters, and phone calls regarding the recent p-card audit.
Now, the Mayor's office has made a formal request to Commissioner DeFreese under the Tennessee Open Records Act requesting access to copies of all correspondence including letters, faxes, and emails she has received regarding the p-card audit, and also phone records and any logs or notes related to phone calls she has received about the audit.
Not sure why they would want to keep poking this hornet's nest with a stick. At any rate, I guess somebody will have to count them now. Wonder how many were from Paul Pinkston?
UPDATE: DeFreese responds, will hold a press conference at 3PM to discuss the request. According to the report, her position is that the correspondence is not public record. There's also something about "communication 'forged' by citizens." Probably not what she meant to say.
UPDATE: WBIR contacts an expert who says if the correspondence was received in transaction of public business then it is public record, adding "Ethically speaking, I don't know why (Commissioner DeFreese) would want to withhold it." Good question. Boxes and boxes of correspondence would certainly be embarrassing for the mayor. Why not just produce them?
UPDATE: From the KNS: "At any rate, DeFreese said she doesn't have any of the e-mails or other communications because she gets so many she doesn't keep them." Seriously? Game, set, match.
- Interesting background on new Attorney General (15 replies)
- Urban Outfitters, Kent State sweatshirt - what were they thinking? (10 replies)
- City of Alcoa-Sam's Club first step in New Urbanism? (6 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (16 replies)
- Gordon Ball kicks off statewide U.S. Senate campaign in East TN (3 replies)
- KnoxViews exclusive: U.S. Senate candidate Gordon Ball on the issues (22 replies)
- Social Security garnished for student loan debt (36 replies)
- TN Supreme Court names new Attorney General (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (60 replies)
- SATURDAY SOUTH (9 replies)
- Bravo to LaFollette Middle School Coach Jake Snider (1 reply)
- Butch Jones: Best new coach in the SEC?* (8 replies)
- Sep 17 2014 - 12:00pm (1 hour 36 min ago)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (6 days 4 hours from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)