Newly appointed Commissioner Victoria DeFreese remarked in last week's Commission meeting that she had received "countless" e-mails, faxes, letters, and phone calls regarding the recent p-card audit.
Now, the Mayor's office has made a formal request to Commissioner DeFreese under the Tennessee Open Records Act requesting access to copies of all correspondence including letters, faxes, and emails she has received regarding the p-card audit, and also phone records and any logs or notes related to phone calls she has received about the audit.
Not sure why they would want to keep poking this hornet's nest with a stick. At any rate, I guess somebody will have to count them now. Wonder how many were from Paul Pinkston?
UPDATE: DeFreese responds, will hold a press conference at 3PM to discuss the request. According to the report, her position is that the correspondence is not public record. There's also something about "communication 'forged' by citizens." Probably not what she meant to say.
UPDATE: WBIR contacts an expert who says if the correspondence was received in transaction of public business then it is public record, adding "Ethically speaking, I don't know why (Commissioner DeFreese) would want to withhold it." Good question. Boxes and boxes of correspondence would certainly be embarrassing for the mayor. Why not just produce them?
UPDATE: From the KNS: "At any rate, DeFreese said she doesn't have any of the e-mails or other communications because she gets so many she doesn't keep them." Seriously? Game, set, match.
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (5 replies)
- Kroger Seasoning Recall includes Knoxville Area (2 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (9 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (37 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (94 replies)
- Proposed ozone rules grab East Tennessee mayors' attention (5 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (45 replies)
- Blue Hair for Bernie - Canceled (1 reply)
- Marines to volunteer armed guards: Thanks but no thanks (6 replies)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (8 replies)
- Trump: John McCain is no war hero, plus he's a loser (20 replies)
- Eastbound Cumberland Ave. to close for six weeks (1 reply)
- Jul 29 2015 - 12:00pm (2 hours 26 min from now)
- Jul 29 2015 - 6:00pm (8 hours 26 min from now)
- Aug 7 2015 - 7:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 weeks 2 days from now)