A House subcommittee voted along party lines on Tuesday to kill a contentious constitutional abortion amendment amid open partisan sniping over the legislation.
“The resolution fails,” Rep. Mary Pruitt, the Democratic chairwoman of the House Public Health and Family Assistance Subcommittee, declared after the subcommittee voted, 6-3, to defeat the measure.
The measure proposed to amend the Tennessee constitution to specify that nothing in state law explicitly protects abortion. The Senate approved the proposal earlier this year, but it was widely expected to die in the House committee, as in previous years.
Proponents said the amendment was needed for future abortion regulation; opponents have decried it as an election-year gambit and an attempt to eventually ban abortion outright.
Knox County Democrat Joe Armstrong, who sits on this committee, heaped scorn on the Republicans:
Democrats have criticized Republican sponsors of the resolution, saying it's a partisan issue that comes up almost every election year.
"Democrats and Republicans have worked together to create quality legislation," said Rep. Joe Armstrong, who voted against the resolution on Tuesday. "But it's funny this comes up ... when there's an election on the line and yet on an off year this is never mentioned."
The Knoxville Democrat emphasized the partisanship of the resolution by referencing a fellow Democrat who said he wasn't allowed to sign onto the legislation because of his party affiliation.
"By telling a pro-life Democrat he can't sign on, that proves it's not about saving life, it's about politics," Armstrong said.
- Big Box Health Care: Are You Ready for Walmart Care Clinics? (8 replies)
- Uber Problem (14 replies)
- Looking like a deadlock (13 replies)
- The long awaited "policy positions" of Dem candidate for Governor Charlie Brown (6 replies)
- Nashville Charter Drama (21 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (55 replies)
- Some happy Labor Day news from California (2 replies)
- ETSPJ denounces McIntyre - BOE "agreement" (10 replies)
- ISIS (113 replies)
- Does this make you feel safer? (4 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (49 replies)
- All the Companies Making Money From Healthcare.gov in One Chart (26 replies)
- Sep 4 2014 - 5:30pm (2 days 2 hours from now)
First Friday Celebration and Silent Auction (benefiting UTK College Dems) with Knox Co Democratic PartySep 5 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 3 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)