8:00 ET... Oklahoma (MSNBC)
8:15 ET... Tennessee (MSNBC)
8:30 ET... Arkansas (MSNBC)
9:00 ET... New York, Massachusetts - so much for the Kennedy endorsement (MSNBC)
9:20 ET... New Jersey - despite the insurgent campaign for Rikki Hall (MSNBC)
Delegate count as of 9 ET: Clinton 447 (CBS)
Taking cover around 10:30... see you on the other side of this supercell.
Crunching a few of the state numbers... Obama won 9 counties of Tennessee's 95 (Davidson, Fayette, Hamilton, Hardeman, Haywood, Madison, Shelby, Van Buren, Williamson).
Some might assert that Obama would have done better if the storms hadn't hit West Tennessee so hard. Well, one: that storm sent Clinton voters home as well. Two: this ignores the fact that Clinton took victories in 66% of the counties in the state. Total of 631,680 votes cast statewide.
Hillary's average margin of victory was something like 50 points (yes, five-zero, you read that right) in counties over west *and* middle *and* east Tennessee - granted, these counties don't have as much population as the ones that Obama carried, but still, they add up. This is the rural/urban divide showing up again, and depending on the demographics of the state involved, this can really cut against your candidate. (The exit polls may highlight some of this. In general, Tennessee's population skews caucasian - certainly more so relative to neighboring states Georgia and Alabama, which Obama carried; certainly more so in rural areas of the state, which Clinton overwhelmingly carried.)
Notable: Montgomery County - home of Fort Campbell - went to Clinton. That may not amount to a referendum on the Iraq issue, but it is certainly interesting. This county also went for HFJ in the general in TN-Senate '06.
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (7 replies)
- Angry Ohio GOP Demands Cuyahoga NP Be Renamed for Palin (3 replies)
- The beast has more than one belly: (16 replies)
- Cades Cove this morning (3 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (8 replies)
- Into the Belly of the Beast (3 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (6 replies)
- so this is it ... (7 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)