A HUD review of Knox County Community Development Block Grant and other programs requested by Mayor Mike Ragsdale in August has been completed and a report of HUD's findings has been submitted to the mayor's office.
The report "commends the county for employing a knowledgeable staff and for a commitment to carrying out worthwhile activities," and also commended the County "for good programmatic monitoring of sub recipients."
The report did, however, find actionable issues involving:
• Possible conflicts of interest relating to the CDBG program
• Problems with KCCD and Knox County PBA employees time sheets used to allocate administrative costs among programs
• Failure to include a "reversion of asset" related to a subrecipient agreement with the Tennessee Conference of Community Development
Other areas of concern included:
• Lack of progress in the HOME affordable housing program and "inconsistency of the PBA to provide consistent and experienced management of the Knox County Rehabilitation Program"
• Problems with subrecipient management procedures involving program and financial management monitoring
• Concerns regarding separation of duties and having proper checks and balances in place
A total of $33,454 in questioned funding was disallowed, and another $840,000 is under further review. HUD's summary letter of findings can be found here.
The mayor's office says they are taking steps to address these issues. The HUD report noted that Knox County officials did not appear to have "adequate knowledge of the CDBG and HOME conflict of interest requirement" and that they would review the county's response in relation to the disallowed funding.
The mayor's office has prepared the requested conflict of interest documentation, a copy of which can be found here.
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (179 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (195 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (6 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (11 replies)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (10 hours 33 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (18 hours 3 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 17 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)