Shame on the judges for "mailing it in" this year. It appears they drove once down Chapman Highway and decided we're the ugly stepsister.
While I agree that their choices are indeed unsightly, you can't tell me SK has four-fifths of the eyesores in Knoxville - I drive all over town, and believe me, it's not true. But KKB saw fit to dump on Southside.
At the ceremony, Mary Lou Horner, in her role as "Auntie Litter" [ED NOTE: We have been advised that "Auntie Litter" is a trademark of Auntie Litter Inc. From their executive director: "Keep Knoxville Beautiful and Ms. Horner need to be informed that "Auntie Litter" is a registered trademark of a nonprofit organization, Auntie Litter, Inc., based in Birmingham, AL. It us unlawful for them to continue using this character without a licensing agreement from our attorney."] saw fit to give the Onion for Big Lots to Bob Santore, who was in attendance, taunting him with the question "Don't you know what 'litter' is?"
Southside has enough self-esteem issues without "help" like this. We're trying to attract new business ventures to bring enough money into the community to address issues of this nature. Do you think potential investors will give us a shot if they catch wind of this?
I fully expect that this year, KKB will devote four-fifths of their resources to south Knoxville. If they don't, then they're a bunch of hypocrites.
A full list of winners (and losers) is here.
- South High redux as Assisted Living Center (1 reply)
- Bill seeking to stop scalpers from grabbing online tickets has cleared the House (2 replies)
- Ammo plant deal falling apart? (2 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (69 replies)
- Businessman wants to add waterfall to South Knoxville waterfront (23 replies)
- Dover to develop South High (8 replies)
- AMI ammo factory deal could involve $20 million in state incentives (28 replies)
- KNS not to endorse in Presidential race (8 replies)
- Debates 3, Climate Change 0 (3 replies)
- Debate takeaway headlines (11 replies)
- New plans for old church in South Knoxville (11 replies)
- Meeting on changes to SW Form-based Code Thursday 10/20 (1 reply)
- Oct 23 2016 - 9:30am (21 hours 20 min from now)
- Oct 23 2016 - 2:00pm (1 day 1 hour from now)
- Oct 26 2016 - 12:00pm (3 days 23 hours from now)
- Oct 29 2016 - 3:00pm (1 week 2 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2016 - 1:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)