Surely we the people shouldn't have to sit quietly by while our president and his handlers corrupt officials to the point that they can't even do their jobs honestly. Dr. Carmona, the former Surgeon General, deserves a lot of credit for revealing the extreme amount of pressure he received to report what the adminsitration wanted versus things that could dramatically improve public health. When I heard his testimony I was sickened by the pettiness of the whole Special Olympics denial. How heartless can people be? Especially the very ones who insist they are pro-life? Special Olympic children should never be used as political pawns.
Dr. Carmona said he was ordered to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches. He also said he was asked to make speeches to support Republican political candidates and to attend political briefings. (link...)
And administration officials even discouraged him from attending the Special Olympics because, he said, of that charitable organization’s longtime ties to a “prominent family” that he refused to name.
“I was specifically told by a senior person, ‘Why would you want to help those people?’ ” Dr. Carmona said.
The Special Olympics is one of the nation’s premier charitable organizations to benefit disabled people, and the Kennedys have long been deeply involved in it.
Obviously Carmona's rage was justified. He must have felt pretty silly to think he had been appointed for his expertise. He said his first impression of this happened when he heard advisors talking about global warming as if it was only a liberal issue with no scientific basis.
"And I said to myself, ‘I realize why I’ve been invited. They want me to discuss the science because they obviously don’t understand the science."
After he tried to explain global warming was a legitimmate and critical health problem, he was never invited back to any more discussions about it.
This interference with the function of the Surgeon General by the Bush administration would seem to be something more than just immoral. He is not obstructing justice, but he is in a way, he's obstructing the work of an important official the public relies on for life and death imnformation.
Isn't this an impeachable or criminal offense?
- Looking like a deadlock (14 replies)
- Big Box Health Care: Are You Ready for Walmart Care Clinics? (8 replies)
- Uber Problem (14 replies)
- The long awaited "policy positions" of Dem candidate for Governor Charlie Brown (6 replies)
- Nashville Charter Drama (21 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (55 replies)
- Some happy Labor Day news from California (2 replies)
- ETSPJ denounces McIntyre - BOE "agreement" (10 replies)
- ISIS (113 replies)
- Does this make you feel safer? (4 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (49 replies)
- All the Companies Making Money From Healthcare.gov in One Chart (26 replies)
- Sep 4 2014 - 5:30pm (2 days 1 hour from now)
First Friday Celebration and Silent Auction (benefiting UTK College Dems) with Knox Co Democratic PartySep 5 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 2 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)