I drove the entire length of Kingston Pike today, from UT to Dixie Lee Junction. It is, indeed, the longest strip mall I've ever seen. But I was pleasantly surprised at how many independent businesses there were along the way. It wasn't all big box hell as most suburban strips tend to be. It also was much greener than suburban strips of this ilk usually are. Maybe my years in dreadfully flat Chicagoland have soured me on the possibilities of suburban beautification but I was quite surprised to see such a heavily commercialized strip with actual live trees astride it.
Oh, and the Dixie Lee Baptist Church may just be the most Southern-named place on Earth. Of course the name has to do with the old crossroads of Lee Highway and Dixie Highway and not to any particulary "Southernness" but still, the name is pretty neat in its own way.
I also saw Lenoir City for the first time. What gives the right of small villages like Lenoir City and Tracy City the right to use the word "City" in their names?
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (12 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (7 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (196 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (6 hours 46 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (14 hours 16 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 13 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)