Tonight the House passed a short-term funding bill for the Iraq war that would require a set of benchmarks to be reached before Congress would vote to release the remaning funds after July. But before that Massachusetts Congressman James McGovern offered up a full withdrawal bill that would have removed all US troops from Iraq in 9 months. The real shocker nationwide was that this immediate withdrawal bill got 171 votes in favor. The good news locally was that of the two Republican Congressman voting for this immediate withdrawal bill, one was our own Jimmy Duncan.
This is significant because Duncan voted against the last timetable bill. I thought that he was softening his antiwar position under pressure from GOP leadership. But I think he just didn't think the measure was strong enough. Duncan says "Get out of Iraq NOW!"
The Iraq War is the fundamental political issue of our time. I disagree with Duncan on many issues, especially domestic matters. But on this matter of utmost importance he has been dead right and steadfast all along. For that I say kudos to Congressman Jimmy Duncan. You have served the 2nd District of Tennessee with honor.
- KnoxViews exclusive: U.S. Senate candidate Gordon Ball on the issues (22 replies)
- Interesting background on new Attorney General (9 replies)
- City of Alcoa-Sam's Club first step in New Urbanism? (4 replies)
- Urban Outfitters, Kent State sweatshirt - what were they thinking? (6 replies)
- Social Security garnished for student loan debt (36 replies)
- TN Supreme Court names new Attorney General (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (60 replies)
- SATURDAY SOUTH (9 replies)
- Bravo to LaFollette Middle School Coach Jake Snider (1 reply)
- Butch Jones: Best new coach in the SEC?* (8 replies)
- Gordon Ball kicks off statewide U.S. Senate campaign in East TN (2 replies)
- Searching for an Online Search Guru (2 replies)
- Sep 17 2014 - 12:00pm (8 hours 27 min from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (6 days 14 hours from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)