Tonight the House passed a short-term funding bill for the Iraq war that would require a set of benchmarks to be reached before Congress would vote to release the remaning funds after July. But before that Massachusetts Congressman James McGovern offered up a full withdrawal bill that would have removed all US troops from Iraq in 9 months. The real shocker nationwide was that this immediate withdrawal bill got 171 votes in favor. The good news locally was that of the two Republican Congressman voting for this immediate withdrawal bill, one was our own Jimmy Duncan.
This is significant because Duncan voted against the last timetable bill. I thought that he was softening his antiwar position under pressure from GOP leadership. But I think he just didn't think the measure was strong enough. Duncan says "Get out of Iraq NOW!"
The Iraq War is the fundamental political issue of our time. I disagree with Duncan on many issues, especially domestic matters. But on this matter of utmost importance he has been dead right and steadfast all along. For that I say kudos to Congressman Jimmy Duncan. You have served the 2nd District of Tennessee with honor.
- BREAKING: Tom Humphrey retiring (24 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (12 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (17 replies)
- Huffman caves (2 replies)
- News Sentinel website paywall broken (10 replies)
- NLRB rules on Browning-Ferris: MickyD's workers have the right to know for whom they work (2 replies)
- ORNL was fixin' to learn y'all how to talk better (20 replies)
- Truthful comparison of Democratic contributions is not Negative (12 replies)
- Heartless Haslam's ridiculous letter to Obama embarrasses Tennessee (2 replies)
- Open letter to spammers (10 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (3 replies)
- Haslam kicks off campaign at Knoxville News Sentinel headquarters (6 replies)