Tonight the House passed a short-term funding bill for the Iraq war that would require a set of benchmarks to be reached before Congress would vote to release the remaning funds after July. But before that Massachusetts Congressman James McGovern offered up a full withdrawal bill that would have removed all US troops from Iraq in 9 months. The real shocker nationwide was that this immediate withdrawal bill got 171 votes in favor. The good news locally was that of the two Republican Congressman voting for this immediate withdrawal bill, one was our own Jimmy Duncan.
This is significant because Duncan voted against the last timetable bill. I thought that he was softening his antiwar position under pressure from GOP leadership. But I think he just didn't think the measure was strong enough. Duncan says "Get out of Iraq NOW!"
The Iraq War is the fundamental political issue of our time. I disagree with Duncan on many issues, especially domestic matters. But on this matter of utmost importance he has been dead right and steadfast all along. For that I say kudos to Congressman Jimmy Duncan. You have served the 2nd District of Tennessee with honor.
- State Board of Ed poised to approve six new charters over Nashville BOE objections (1 reply)
- Sanity prevails, at least temporarily, in Blount Co. (8 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- Employment increased by 142,000 in September (2 replies)
- Lost Mailbox Leads to Time Warp (8 replies)
- Co. Commission to ask God not to destroy Blount Co. because of the gays (5 replies)
- Arne Duncan to step down in December (4 replies)
- Why America won't do anything about gun violence (37 replies)
- KKK in Nashville (6 replies)
- Tennessee does not have a monopoly on crazy politicians (1 reply)
- Yet another privatization fail: Probation (6 replies)
- Troubled Tennessee prisons (5 replies)
- Oct 13 2015 - 7:30pm (6 days 6 hours from now)
- Oct 13 2015 - 8:00pm (6 days 6 hours from now)