Tonight the House passed a short-term funding bill for the Iraq war that would require a set of benchmarks to be reached before Congress would vote to release the remaning funds after July. But before that Massachusetts Congressman James McGovern offered up a full withdrawal bill that would have removed all US troops from Iraq in 9 months. The real shocker nationwide was that this immediate withdrawal bill got 171 votes in favor. The good news locally was that of the two Republican Congressman voting for this immediate withdrawal bill, one was our own Jimmy Duncan.
This is significant because Duncan voted against the last timetable bill. I thought that he was softening his antiwar position under pressure from GOP leadership. But I think he just didn't think the measure was strong enough. Duncan says "Get out of Iraq NOW!"
The Iraq War is the fundamental political issue of our time. I disagree with Duncan on many issues, especially domestic matters. But on this matter of utmost importance he has been dead right and steadfast all along. For that I say kudos to Congressman Jimmy Duncan. You have served the 2nd District of Tennessee with honor.
- Elizabeth Warren for president! (60 replies)
- City to rebid Cumberland Ave. project (18 replies)
- Final nail for Hemlock (2 replies)
- Island Home apartment project may break ground this week (10 replies)
- The banality of evil (4 replies)
- All-Clad for the win (9 replies)
- Headline fail (5 replies)
- Norris wants to give Congress the power to nullify federal regulations (they already can) (4 replies)
- Haslam names new education commissioner (3 replies)
- Nashville: 16 year-old black youth shot and killed after he shot and injured officer (29 replies)
- Henley Bridge safety (9 replies)
- How did Ramsey, McConnell become so powerful (1 reply)