Kinda suprised no one has commented on this one yet:
Senator calls for answer on creation of universe
By TOM HUMPHREY, firstname.lastname@example.org
February 27, 2007
NASHVILLE - Sen. Raymond Finney proposes to use the legislative process to get an answer to the question of whether the universe was created by a "Supreme Being."
Under Senate Resolution 17, introduced by the Maryville Republican, the answer would come from state Education Commissioner Lana Seivers "in report form" no later than Jan. 15, 2008.
Finney, a retired physician, said Monday that his objective is to formally prod the Department of Education into a dialogue about the teaching of evolution in school science classes without also teaching the alternative of "creationism," or "intelligent design."
The move would thus renew a debate that has raged off and on in the Tennessee Legislature since at least 1925, when the 64th General Assembly enacted a law forbidding the teaching of evolution - setting the stage for the famous John Scopes "monkey trial" in Dayton, Tenn., later that year.
Scientists, ethicists, theologians and philosophers have pondered this question for centuries. Who knew it would be the Tennessee State Education Commissioner who would finally give us the definitive answer?
- Robert Reich to speak in Knoxville (13 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (56 replies)
- What's up with E.W. Scripps? (4 replies)
- Planets align on Siler v. Briggs debate (6 replies)
- BREAKING: Herron will not seek second term as TNDP chair (14 replies)
- South Waterfront update: A lot happening (13 replies)
- Bar Marley (6 replies)
- Obamacare's not perfect (duh!) (2 replies)
- Watch this and get inspired (3 replies)
- A future for I-40? (18 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (39 replies)
- A Trip in the Country (3 replies)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (1 hour 50 min from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (2 hours 35 min from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 1 hour from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)