Kinda suprised no one has commented on this one yet:
Senator calls for answer on creation of universe
By TOM HUMPHREY, email@example.com
February 27, 2007
NASHVILLE - Sen. Raymond Finney proposes to use the legislative process to get an answer to the question of whether the universe was created by a "Supreme Being."
Under Senate Resolution 17, introduced by the Maryville Republican, the answer would come from state Education Commissioner Lana Seivers "in report form" no later than Jan. 15, 2008.
Finney, a retired physician, said Monday that his objective is to formally prod the Department of Education into a dialogue about the teaching of evolution in school science classes without also teaching the alternative of "creationism," or "intelligent design."
The move would thus renew a debate that has raged off and on in the Tennessee Legislature since at least 1925, when the 64th General Assembly enacted a law forbidding the teaching of evolution - setting the stage for the famous John Scopes "monkey trial" in Dayton, Tenn., later that year.
Scientists, ethicists, theologians and philosophers have pondered this question for centuries. Who knew it would be the Tennessee State Education Commissioner who would finally give us the definitive answer?
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (73 replies)
- Briggs misleads, comes across as a bully (13 replies)
- Briggs and Military Uniform policy (5 replies)
- What's The Strategy for Fighting Amendment One? (3 replies)
- Well, this is awkward (6 replies)
- Knox County 2014 State Primary and County General Election Sample Ballot (3 replies)
- The Oldest Bar In Every State (14 replies)
- Geek tip for Klipsch owners: Bob Crites (3 replies)
- Shopper-News online (2 replies)
- Somewhat original thinking for an old problem - a "bottom-up approach to fiscal policy" (7 replies)
- Business Buzzword Bingo, 1962. (3 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (53 replies)
- Oct 2 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (5 days 5 hours from now)