The upcoming Knox County Commission meeting, 2 p.m. Dec. 18th, should be an eventful one. The top four items should be:
* Parking Garage. I favor a lift the barrier approach, or at least more weekend and evening availability. Expect PBA and Sheriff to raise security fears, suggesting a new garage as the alternative. To quote Edward R. Murrow, "We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason."
* Annexation Matter, requesting state investigation. I'm torn on this one. I'm glad we've dropped the idea of suing ourselves (our own election commission). I oppose the corporate welfare that got us into this mess. I called the Election Commission to ask about several matters associated with the election. It may well be a disgusting trick and a snookering of two public bodies, but I don't see any genuine election law violations. I do have some questions that will need to be addressed.
* Funding for the Midway Business Park. An unneeded business park over sinkholes, and passed over significant community objection in the closing hours of the last commission. I was in the audience when this thing was rammed through. I'll be opposing this one.
* Garbage: Waste Management v. Waste Connections (old BFI). Bids were extemely close. Neither has great record on labor matters. Both are below the national average on CEO pay grabs. I'm still researching this one.
There also may be a controversial zoning or two. All the best, Mark Harmon (Co. Comm. Dist 2, Seat A)
- Rolling Stone: Hillary's New Deal (2 replies)
- Walmart's Out-of-Control Crime Problem is Driving Police Crazy (8 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (24 replies)
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (20 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (10 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (48 replies)
- UT students are back! (14 replies)
- Thanks for the memories! (1 reply)
- Free speech proves costly (4 replies)
- Hillary Clinton campaign office to open in Knox County (11 replies)
- How Haslam is reshaping Tennessee environmental rules (6 replies)
- a small but notable defeat for privatization (9 replies)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (1 day 23 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 4 days from now)