The upcoming Knox County Commission meeting, 2 p.m. Dec. 18th, should be an eventful one. The top four items should be:
* Parking Garage. I favor a lift the barrier approach, or at least more weekend and evening availability. Expect PBA and Sheriff to raise security fears, suggesting a new garage as the alternative. To quote Edward R. Murrow, "We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason."
* Annexation Matter, requesting state investigation. I'm torn on this one. I'm glad we've dropped the idea of suing ourselves (our own election commission). I oppose the corporate welfare that got us into this mess. I called the Election Commission to ask about several matters associated with the election. It may well be a disgusting trick and a snookering of two public bodies, but I don't see any genuine election law violations. I do have some questions that will need to be addressed.
* Funding for the Midway Business Park. An unneeded business park over sinkholes, and passed over significant community objection in the closing hours of the last commission. I was in the audience when this thing was rammed through. I'll be opposing this one.
* Garbage: Waste Management v. Waste Connections (old BFI). Bids were extemely close. Neither has great record on labor matters. Both are below the national average on CEO pay grabs. I'm still researching this one.
There also may be a controversial zoning or two. All the best, Mark Harmon (Co. Comm. Dist 2, Seat A)
- McIntyre: Pregnancy is a "physical disability?" (13 replies)
- a fine BLT (15 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (34 replies)
- ISIS (73 replies)
- House plans to spend up to $350,000 on Obama suit (1 reply)
- Knox County Commission Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS (9 replies)
- Nashville schools forced to purchase technology via capital, not operating, budget? (10 replies)
- Food Stamp Recipients in Michigan Double Up on Fruits, Veggies (5 replies)
- Who should replace Indya Kincannon on School Board? (5 replies)
- Police state of America (35 replies)
- Gaza: it's about natural gas (18 replies)
- Mayor Rogero supports Freedom to Marry (14 replies)