The upcoming Knox County Commission meeting, 2 p.m. Dec. 18th, should be an eventful one. The top four items should be:
* Parking Garage. I favor a lift the barrier approach, or at least more weekend and evening availability. Expect PBA and Sheriff to raise security fears, suggesting a new garage as the alternative. To quote Edward R. Murrow, "We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason."
* Annexation Matter, requesting state investigation. I'm torn on this one. I'm glad we've dropped the idea of suing ourselves (our own election commission). I oppose the corporate welfare that got us into this mess. I called the Election Commission to ask about several matters associated with the election. It may well be a disgusting trick and a snookering of two public bodies, but I don't see any genuine election law violations. I do have some questions that will need to be addressed.
* Funding for the Midway Business Park. An unneeded business park over sinkholes, and passed over significant community objection in the closing hours of the last commission. I was in the audience when this thing was rammed through. I'll be opposing this one.
* Garbage: Waste Management v. Waste Connections (old BFI). Bids were extemely close. Neither has great record on labor matters. Both are below the national average on CEO pay grabs. I'm still researching this one.
There also may be a controversial zoning or two. All the best, Mark Harmon (Co. Comm. Dist 2, Seat A)
- Via TREE - The Latest on Voucher Bill (7 replies)
- Volkswagon sides with UAW on appeal - Times Free Press (12 replies)
- Parthenon Group to propose KCS cuts tonight (79 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (309 replies)
- Fresenius Medical Care Invests $140 Million To Locate Manufacturing Facility In Knoxville (1 reply)
- Baptist Hospital demolition underway (5 replies)
- TEA sues Knox Co. Schools (3 replies)
- Merita bread to make a comeback? (14 replies)
- Too late to- Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (31 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (17 replies)
- Lady Vols win SEC championship (2 replies)
- Rikki Hall benefit for the Little River Watershed Association (15 replies)
- Mar 19 2014 - 12:00pm (1 week 8 hours from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Mar 25 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 6 days from now)