Today was the first day of early voting in Knox County. I voted a little after 5:00 PM at Farragut Town Hall. There were only about three or four other voters there, and with a dozen or so voting machines, there was no waiting. I overheard one of the election workers say they'd had over 500 people so far (if I heard him right).
The ballot is blissfully shorter than the War-And-Peace sized ballot we had to endure during the primary, when we had to vote on all those county officers and every judge east of the Mississippi. However, the current ballot is a little confusing, especially with the new electronic voting machines. We had two state constitutional amendments (please vote NO on Amendment 1) and four county charter amendments. Using the little scroll wheel to move forward to the next ballot item, the cursor would first land on the text of the amendment, but the Yes/No boxes for that amendment sometimes appeared on the next screen. It would be easy for a voter to highlight the amendment text, press the Enter button, and scroll forward without realizing they'd skipped that question. The ballot scores pretty low in the user interface design department.
The software ought to be modified to keep the ballot question and its Yes/No boxes on the same screen.
Just be careful as you vote, and review your choices very carefully. The last screen gives you a chance to review your choices and make changes. Scan that final screen diligently. It's easy to skip something on this ballot, even though it's a lot shorter than the last one.
- Women's Suffrage Monument Unveiled in Nashville (4 replies)
- Obamacare accountable care programs rang up $466 million in Medicare savings last year (2 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (37 replies)
- Rolling Stone: Hillary's New Deal (7 replies)
- Cheat sheet on why to vote for the Democratic candidate (1 reply)
- Mass shooting in Orlando (17 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (57 replies)
- Knox Co. breaks ground on new all-inclusive playground (1 reply)
- Walmart's Out-of-Control Crime Problem is Driving Police Crazy (9 replies)
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (20 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (10 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (48 replies)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (2 hours 43 min ago)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 2 days from now)