Apparently there was some kind of brouhaha on the gun blogs about Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam signing on to a mayor's conference resolution to work against the proliferation of illegal guns.
Naturally, the gun bloggers concluded that Haslam had signaled his clear intent to unilaterally throw out the 2nd Amendment and invite NY Mayor Bloomberg's anti-gun SWAT task force down to confiscate all their AK-47s and AR-15s using the secret illegal gun registry maintained by the KPD and the ATF and Hillary Clinton.
To the bunkers, men! The Yankees are coming and there's already one of them in Knoxville City Hall!
Uber-wingnut Steve Gill called Halsam out for a high-noon showdown, and tried to get him to renounce his position against illegal guns. Volunteer Voters has the audio.
To his credit, Haslam would not back down. He said he doesn't understand why anyone would not want illegal guns off the street, and invited Gill down to the KPD evidence room to see what they were talking about. Good for Mayor Haslam.
Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.
(UPDATE: I forgot to mention, kudos to SayUncle for poking a stick at the Mayor and prompting a reaction. No matter what you think about the program, it's always interesting when the powers that be take blogs seriously.)
- Haslam's legacy (23 replies)
- Home cookin' (6 replies)
- Hello, Nashville? Anybody Home? (5 replies)
- Mark Harmon on American Exceptionalism (4 replies)
- The best states for bicycling (13 replies)
- Knox County Schools balanced calendar survey controversy (46 replies)
- State and federal complaints filed against Knoxville charity (19 replies)
- David Letterman signs off (2 replies)
- Good guys just stand out (1 reply)
- DTV Features Honor Air Knoxville and Eddie Mannis (1 reply)
- Boy Scout president calls for end to ban on gay leaders (2 replies)
- Haven't bragged about the SIL lately (3 replies)