I sent this letter a few days ago and wanted to make it public:
David B. Rausch
800 Howard Baker Jr. Ave
Knoxville, TN 37915
Dear Chief Rausch,
On the evening of Thursday, July 24, I became ill while covering a candidate forum at Lawson McGhee Library.
I’ve been having violent episodes of vertigo this summer (probably caused by allergies), and knew I needed to get home before it really hit me, so I left the meeting, wobbled out to the parking lot and got in my car. I made it to the corner of Church and Henley, where the car hiccupped and died. I called AAA, and they put me on hold for 10 minutes. It was another 57 minutes until a guy with a gas can showed up.
Meanwhile, I’m vomiting and sweating and slumped over the wheel, blocking the right-hand turn lane. People are pulling up behind me and honking (as if I’m having a big bunch of fun sitting there vomiting onto my floorboard), and it was hot as hell.
After a few minutes, a cruiser pulled up behind me, and out stepped KPD Officer Michael Dabbelt. He stayed with me the whole time (after I convinced him I didn’t need an ambulance and would be OK if I could just get home), and when my car didn’t start even after the AAA guy poured in two gallons of gas, Officer Dabbelt told me he had a tow truck on standby and said I was too sick to drive anyhow.
He was right.
The towtruck got there in no time. The driver loaded up my car, put me in the cab and gave me a big cup to throw up in. I was home within another 10 minutes and feeling OK before midnight (this stuff makes you violently ill, but passes pretty quickly).
What Officer Dabbelt did for me probably wasn’t a real big deal in the work life of a police officer, but I cannot imagine what would have happened without his help. I don’t want to think about it. He was courteous, efficient and very kind. I was too sick to be embarrassed about puking all over the place, but I really appreciated his help. Protect and serve was exactly what he did, so I think it’s important to thank him, and to let you know what a great job he did and how much I appreciate it.
Anyhow, thank you so much.
And thank you, Michael Dabbelt.
I owe you a solid.
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (4 replies)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- NYT: The 'Caddyshack' President (6 replies)
- Trump's NatSec advisor Michael Flynn resigns (20 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (1 day 4 hours from now)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (2 days 10 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (6 days 11 hours from now)