Looks like Nashville charter school prospect STRIVE Collegiate Academy is pushing the Metro Nashville School Board to reconsider their rejected charter application, which if rejected again, could become the first test case of the new charter authorizer law. This would allow STRIVE to bypass the local Board of Education and appeal directly to the state in order to
grab the money open a new charter school using public funds.
It's the Great Hearts charter school dilemma Part II, and Jesse Register, the Director of Schools, is on the hot seat, along with the rest of the BOE. It's pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't.
From the Nashville Scene:
Register said that he asked STRIVE, which was developed in conjunction with the Nashville-based Tennessee Charter School Center, to delay its application for a year but STRIVE wanted to appeal. If the board rejects STRIVE again, they can appeal to the state board of education under the newly passed charter authorizer law. This would be the first test case.
In 2012, Great Hearts appealed to the state, which ordered the Metro School Board to reconsider its rejection of the Arizona-based charter operator. The board rejected it again, and Gov. Bill Haslam's administration withheld more than $3 million in funding for Nashville schools.
In a tense exchange with board members, Register refused to say whether he was recommending the STRIVE appeal be approved, only that the committee's recommendation be considered.
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (368 replies)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (9 replies)
- MPC public meeting on Bearden Mixed Use District zoning proposal (3 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Thursday edition (10 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Tuesday edition (39 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Wednesday edition (14 replies)
- Trump calls on Russia to conduct espionage aganst the United States (8 replies)
- Cumberland Avenue is a mess (15 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (50 replies)
- It's official... (5 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Monday edition (25 replies)
- After 87 years, Pease Furniture closing (2 replies)