The third and final public meeting on the South Waterfront Vision and Action Plan is Thursday evening, 2/2, at the Kerbela Temple in south Knoxville. Open House starts at 5 - there will be a large model and drawings for folks to review, and the consultants will be available for one-on-one discussion. The presentation starts at 6 p.m.
I'm a member of the Oversight Committee for this effort, and tonight we got an advance look at what's coming up tomorrow. If you are at all interested in good planning & development for the south waterfront, you will want to show up tomorrow night. And stay for the presentation - part of it includes an animated "fly-over" of what the area could look like in 20 years which is really quite amazing.
Randy has asked me to blog on this, and I'll try to do so as the project moves along. The Oversight Committee will meet monthly through June, when the entire shebang gets finished and handed over to Council for approval.
I was very, very pleased with what I saw this evening. This consultant team "gets" south Knoxville. Their proposal incorporates the very clearly expressed community concerns about preserving existing neighborhoods, providing good public access to the river, and keeping the character, scale, and personality of south Knoxville (or, as Madeline Rogero put it at one meeting: "when this is over, we don't still want to be step-children, but we do still want to be red-headed.").
We have a long way to go before the plan is finished - much less implemented, but so far, so good. Come out tomorrow night and see for yourselves. There is more info on the official website - (link...). I'll talk about some details etc. next time - right now I just want to urge folks to go take a look and see what they think.
- school board meeting underway (55 replies)
- Downtown teen curfew in Knoxville? (2 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (8 replies)
- Celebrating with a Strawberry Cobbler (1 reply)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (48 replies)
- Rail incident, evacuations ongoing in Blount Co. (13 replies)
- Haslam snubs Obama, again (11 replies)
- Blurring the Racial Lines (53 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (30 replies)
- New revelations in deadly school bus crash (96 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (4 replies)
- TNGOP wants a special session on the gay crisis (3 replies)